For the introductory international relations course where I am serving as a teaching assistant (TA), I have been assigned two weekly tutorials with 25 students each.
- There are six lectures which I am required to attend, over the year (6 x 2 hours = 12 hours).
- Then there are two hours of tutorial per week for 20 weeks (40 hours).
- Then, I am to be available for one office hour per week for 24 weeks (24 hours).
- I have one hour per week to do the course readings (24 hours).
- I am to grade 100 papers at a rate of 1/2 hour per paper, plus 100 exams at 20 minutes per exam (83 hours).
- Finally, there are 27 hours assigned for additional lectures, preparation, and reading.
In total, I am to do 210 hours of TA work in order to qualify for the University of Toronto’s guaranteed PhD student funding package.
If I succeed in getting an Ontario Graduate Scholarship or Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council scholarship, I may not need to work as a TA next year.