LC^3T: Part I concluded

2009-12-23

in Canada, Daily updates, Films and movies, Travel

The video above should demonstrate why I normally leave the videography to my far more talented brother Mica. Still, I hope it will convey some sense of what it was like to cross Canada by Greyhound Bus, a few days before Christmas in 2009.

I hope everyone enjoys the holidays.

[Update: 13 January 2010] A video from the second half of the trip is now online.

alena December 23, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Well done Milan; you made it unscathed and in good spirits! It’s a good video and some music added to it would brighten it
up a bit more. I like your narration.

robin December 23, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Nice work! Loved the ride over the Lions Gate Bridge.

Hella Stella December 23, 2009 at 3:42 pm

What if this songwriter has debaucherous parties at your place? What then??

zoom December 23, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Great video! Shades of Blair Witch. I’ve never seen the Prairies in the wintertime. I love them in the summer, with the big sky and the undulating wheat, but I think they would drive me insane in the winter. The most interesting thing in the whole Prairie winter landscape is the hydro poles.

Anyway, congratulations on surviving your trans-Canada odyssey. Nobody can really understand how vast Canada is until they travel across it by road. On your return trip will you get to go through the mountains during the day?

Milan December 23, 2009 at 4:21 pm

i certainly hope there will be some debaucherous parties.

As for the Blair Witch effect, I am an amateur photog, not some big Hollywood director…

Mark December 23, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Happy Christmas Milan!

sasha December 24, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Milan,
A wonderful little film; with the pilgrimage aspect, it struck me as a visual, narrative love letter to Vancouver, culminating with those great shots coming across the Lion’s Gate. Quite a tribute.
Welcome home; hope to see you boxing day.

oleh December 26, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Thank you for making and sharing the journey in this way. I was and have been struck how you have accepted the journey without complaint. THe shots of Vancouver without snow illustrate how un-Canadian we are. I have heard that it is the Canadian winter that defines Canadians. You gave us a unique perspective of it – crossing the country in a Greyhound bus in the winter. (unfortunately in both directions the trip will not be going through the Rockies and adjacent mountains during the day).

XUP December 27, 2009 at 9:37 am

So, you’re doing this whole trip in reverse again at the end of your holiday? I admire your fortitude. And how great some of the bus stations were.

Tristan December 28, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Great film! My family thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tristan December 29, 2009 at 2:08 pm

When you first stated your intention to embark on this voyage my family and I thought that you had gone a bit crazy. But actually after watching the video, it looks like a pretty great adventure. Sure it may be less “pleasant” than other forms of travel – but who said pleasantness was the only important form of life? Climbing Everest, I imagine, is quite unpleasant.

. January 12, 2010 at 11:35 pm

The Norwegian broadcaster NRK recently made a 7 hour program about the very scenic train journey from Bergen to Oslo. The program was hugely successful (the TV version offered interviews and various things along the ride). The raw film from the front camera is now being offered as a free Bittorrent download under a CC license and there is even a competition (in Norwegian) for best reuse.