The lease on my apartment expires in August and I intend to spend a portion of the time between now and then looking for a superior option. For the most part, this place has been quite good. Located near LeBreton, it is very close to work. It also has a very good landlord, a large basement with laundry equipment, and a tolerable though flawed layout.
Important characteristics I am looking for:
- Location: either close to work (Gatineau) and reasonably close to somewhere interesting (Elgin Street, Bank Street, etc) or very close to somewhere interesting and close to the transitway.
- Relatively quiet, especially in terms of traffic noise.
- Offers somewhere secure, covered, and convenient to store a bike.
- Well laid out, particularly in terms of offering a good space for parties, as well as space for a few guests to stay over.
- Large enough that two people could conceivably live there indefinitely, without driving one another crazy.
- Good water pressure.
- Ideally, includes one bedroom and one room that will serve as a study (see #5 above).
- Ideally, well insulated and otherwise energy efficient.
- Ideally, compatible with all of my existing furniture.
- Hardwood floors and laundry gear are an advantage.
The price range being considered is about $700-800 a month, though more would be possible for a really excellent place. There was an amazing $850 option I found while searching last summer; unfortunately, it got snapped up by the one couple who saw it before I did.