Last post of the day

2006-04-10

in Daily updates

Natural light is good stuff

For three hours, I sat in the Wadham Library and wrote until my arm practically fell off. The result: forty-three handwritten double-spaced pages in response to three questions. I didn’t make reference to many specific authors, but I definitely think I got the concepts down. I was particularly gratified to get a question on the relevance of neo-Marxism in a globalizing world. Regardless of whether it’s a perfect Oxford exam, I am supremely confident that I haven’t embarrassed myself with it. I meet with Andrew Hurrell on Wednesday to discuss it. The real QT is on the 20th.

After having a few hours to get used to it, I can say with a good degree of certainty that my new room is a distinct step up. My basic thoughts when I arrived in Library Court: “Not bad… but I thought this was Oxford.” I understand it better now, and rooms with windows that show the outside world are good. Especially when it’s right behind your iBook screen: reminding you that the world does not turn upon the subtleties (and blatancies) and the blogosphere.

PS. Remember the iPod that Apple said was working fine when I first sent it to them? Well, they are sending me a new one now that they have re-tested it and realized that it was every bit as broken as I said it was. They could probably have saved some money on shipping if they just listened to me the first time…

Considering the three-year AppleCare plan cost me about $80 Canadian and the iPod has already been replaced twice, it seems like a pretty good deal, doesn’t it?

Bring on iPod the fourth!

Kerrie April 11, 2006 at 8:12 am

If you answered a question on the relevance of neo-Marxism in a globalizing world with a blank page, would they give you marks for pure sass?

Anonymous April 11, 2006 at 12:28 pm

The Marxists aren’t right about everything, of course, but their ideas are important in a world where economics and politics are so closely inter-related.

Anonymous April 11, 2006 at 1:26 pm

Did you know that they are casting for a little girl to play Lyra in the film version of Philip Pullman’s “Northern Lights” in Oxford today?

I think it’s happening at Exam Schools.

Anonymous April 11, 2006 at 2:07 pm

A year at York has

1)Brought my understanding of Marx into the 20th century (Frankfurt School)

2)Made me thoroughly open to different philosophical positions/traditions so long as they are commited to real questions (Who are we, what are we doing here, what does being mean, what’s language, what are essences etc…)

3)Made me thoroughly commited to the other beginning, the turn, liberation. Whatever you want to call it, epistemic change bearing some relation to social/societal change and the end of Western metaphysics.

Milan April 11, 2006 at 2:07 pm

Interesting. I named the iPod Shuffle ‘Lyra.’

Hearing that a book I love is being made into a film always makes me nervous. Usually, I make a point of not seeing them.

Anonymous April 11, 2006 at 7:22 pm

Seth has a blog post about the Lyra thing.

Kerrie April 11, 2006 at 7:41 pm

Milan,

I almost laughed when I saw your room because it looks a lot like Fairview eh? Same “wait, is this Oxford?” reaction.

Anonymous: because I am currently not in school, I am allowed to make smartass comments without engaging in an indepth dialogue with some pretentious, anonymous twit who takes him/herself way too damn seriously. I’m sure there will be plenty of opportunity for that when I do my MPhil.

And, grow some rocks and sign your name, Anon.

Milan April 11, 2006 at 7:53 pm

Kerrie,

These photos are from a private house in Oxford, though it’s much nicer than the room I had in Wadham: a venerable Oxford College.

You’re right about the anon. posters. I will mention it in today’s post.

Ben April 11, 2006 at 8:44 pm

Unfortunately if good questions came up last year, they are less likely to ask the same things this year…

Milan April 14, 2006 at 1:13 pm

Meandering iPod:

4 Apr 2006 09:18 Amsterdam Consignment Received At Transit Point
13 Apr 2006 14:45 Taipei City Shipped From Originating Depot
13 Apr 2006 10:25 Taipei City Consignment Received At Transit Point

Anonymous April 15, 2006 at 12:28 pm

Latest iPod update:

15 Apr 2006 05:30
London Stansted Airport
Potential linehaul delay due to bad weather