WordPress migration timeline

2006-05-01

in Geek stuff, Internet matters

Beta period:

  1. Finish fixing photos
  2. Change colour of links and the search box
  3. Generally finish tweaking template
  4. Add Google Analytics tracking to WP blog
  5. Find a photo upload plugin akin to the Upload Photo tool in Blogger

Release:

  1. Shift Blogger blog to www.sindark.com/blogger
  2. Redirect from www.sindark.com to www.sindark.com/wp/
  3. Update any technorati style services as needed
  4. Discontinue updates to Blogger blog
  5. Fix internal links within WP blog

Optional:

  1. Fix internal links within Blogger blog

If done properly, this will only really cause turmoil for the search engines, which should be able to sort it out in a few months, regardless. Relatively non-technical people who have seen the new WP site detect little difference, as it is. Is there anything else I am missing here?

Report a typo or inaccuracy

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

R.K. May 1, 2006 at 6:07 pm

Why not keep your existing post and archive pages in place, where Google knows to find them, replacing your index page with one from WordPress. Then, replace the link in the banner for the Blogger blog with one for the WP frontpage.

B May 2, 2006 at 10:14 am

You also need a snazzier banner – something more in keeping with the “Web 2.0” styling of the WP blog.

Jo May 2, 2006 at 1:43 pm

And one that doesn’t keep turning white when you hover over it with the mouse (in IE)!!

Milan May 3, 2006 at 1:48 pm

It doesn’t do that in IE6.

I should remember to change the lines that border the page from distracting dashes to cleaner solid lines, though.

Milan May 3, 2006 at 3:19 pm

Some progress has been made. I think I have fixed all the improperly formatted photos. I have also dealt with the bug that was leaving open strong tags strewn about. The only way I could do that (loading every entry on one huge page) was very bandwidth intensive.

I have also categorized all 300+ posts included here in the new blog. Posts that didn’t have titles before now do.

A bit of format tweaking and I will be ready to shift to the release stage.

Milan May 5, 2006 at 6:36 pm

I’ve changed the colour of hyperlinks within the template, as well as the colour of the search box. I am starting to get a feel for all the CSS. Unlike the Blogger page, which only had one CSS stylesheet, this blog uses more than ten.

Once I have a new banner up, I think I will swap this over so it occupies the root of sindark.com

Milan May 10, 2006 at 11:56 pm

Still not done:

# Add Google Analytics tracking to WP blog
# Find a photo upload plugin akin to the Upload Photo tool in Blogger

#Fix internal links within WP blog

#Fix internal links within Blogger blog

Milan May 15, 2006 at 1:45 pm

R.K.

I just fixed it. Thanks for pointing out the error.

R.K. May 15, 2006 at 1:25 pm

Your WordPress blog is missing the favicon. You should fix that.

R.K. May 17, 2006 at 4:45 am

Mozilla, although supportive, is still a ways from ACID2 compliance. Web developers are therefore faced with a difficult decision: do they develop their content to the standards, or to the browsers that will render it? As web developers (or the manager of web developers), what decisions did you made on your projects?

(Source)

Milan May 22, 2006 at 3:50 pm

Another bit of housekeeping:

1) Remove my old ‘links’ page from my Oxford webspace. Shift it to sindark.com
2) Remove my really old ‘links’ page from Shaw webspace. Delete it
3) Likewise, remove academic CV and other duplicate content from both other spaces.

Milan May 22, 2006 at 7:29 pm

1) Done
2) Can only be done from within the Shaw network. Delayed for now
3) Done for Oxford webspace

Milan May 22, 2006 at 7:41 pm

Discussion of bugs within the blog and related pages should now take place within this thread.

Thanks a lot.

Leave a Comment

You can use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Previous post:

Next post: