How to eat like a grad student: II

2006-05-28

in Oxford

Stir fry

I’ve discovered something tasty and healthy that can be made very quickly: less than ten minutes from dishes clean to dishes clean (not counting eating).

You need:

• 1 zucchini (or courgette, as they call them here)
  • 1 tomato
  • 1 can of baked beans
  • Olive oil
  • Chillies
  • Hot sauce

To make:

• Cut zucchini into thin slices
  • Heat oil
  • Add chilies
  • Add slices of zucchini
  • Fry one side, then flip
  • Slice tomato into small pieces
  • Put pieces on top of zucchini
  • Wait until zucchini is nearly cooked
  • Put beans on top of everything
  • Stir
  • Add hot sauce
  • Clean cutting board and paring knife
  • Wait for beans to become warm
  • Serve
  • While letting the concoction cool a bit, clean the frying pan

This combination is really simple and seems to work well together. The slightly chewy pieces of fried zucchini make the beans seem much more substantial. Also good: the whole meal costs less than two quid.

Milan May 28, 2006 at 3:53 pm

Agreed.

In my defence, I came up with the previous one after spending the better part of six weeks in a deserted Oxford. I was also quite famished as the result of cold and high levels of energy drink consumption.

Anonymous May 28, 2006 at 6:38 pm

Chillies, hot sauce, and ginger in everything!

You are a salamander.

The word ‘salamander’ comes from the Arabic phrase for ‘lives in fire,’ something it seems to me you would want to do.

Milan May 28, 2006 at 6:54 pm

What can I say, I like my 8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide.

R.K. May 28, 2006 at 3:49 pm

Well, this seems like a better recipe than the first one in this series, which sounded pretty overbearing.

R.K. May 28, 2006 at 4:01 pm

Cooking by NASAs new motto:

Faster, Better, Cheaper.

B May 29, 2006 at 1:31 am

Apparently, there is a group in Oxford “whose aim is to promote the vegetarian/vegan diet to the moral, physical, environmental and economic benefit of humankind.”

You can’t join though, because you’re willing to eat sustainably caught fish. You murderous bastard!

Milan May 29, 2006 at 1:34 am

B,

Their website doesn’t impress me anyhow. I don’t need a group to establish ethical guidelines on what I eat for me.