First eBay sale

2006-06-14

in Economics, Geek stuff, Internet matters, Music

I’ve joined the ranks of those who have at least listed an item on eBay. In this case, it’s the Sony headphones that I want to sell in order to get money for a snazzier pair. These are brand new and in the original packaging.

I may have set the minimum bid a bit high, but you can’t set a reserve price under £50 and I’m really not willing to sell these for less than £15 after spending almost £25 on them. In any case, we will see how this experiment in commerce goes.

[Update: 21 June 2006] With exactly 12 seconds left in the auction, someone placed a bid. Looks like I am offloading these headphones for £15 plus the cost of shipping.

The economics of it all:

Price initially paid on Amazon: £25.66 C$53.01

Payment received from eBay: £15.00 C$30.99
Shipping fee from eBay: £2.00 C$4.13

eBay listing fee: £1.29 C$2.68
PayPal currency fee: £0.86 C$1.77
Cost of packaging: £0.49 C$1.01
Cost of shipping: £0.68 C$1.40
Net eBay income: £13.68 C$28.26

Amazon cost – eBay income: -£11.98 -C$24.75

In the end, choosing to buy these headphones cost me about twenty-five bucks for three months’ usage. Let’s hope the ones I choose to replace them with last much longer.

B June 14, 2006 at 6:09 pm

It would be pretty funny if someone was about to buy these, then changed their mind after reading one of your posts lamenting how cheaply manufactured they are.

R.K. June 14, 2006 at 5:22 pm

Someone should bid more than £15. After all, Amazon.co.uk is selling the same thing for £25.49 plus shipping.

Anon June 16, 2006 at 10:57 am

Still no bids, I see. Too bad.

That said, there are still days remaining.

Milan June 19, 2006 at 10:03 pm

With 1d 17h 44m, there are still no bids.

I hope things turn around shortly…

Milan June 21, 2006 at 12:43 am

With just 15h 03m left, there are no bids.

I really won’t sell headphones that cost just under 30 quid for less than fifteen. If this fails, I guess I will just pay the 80p eBay listing fee and keep them.

R.K. June 27, 2006 at 12:51 pm

A study by South Korean physicists confirms what some of us have taken for granted for a long time: a single bid at end of auction nets the most wins. (link)

Via /.