Off to Ireland

2006-08-15

in Daily updates, Travel

Fishing float in Jonathan's garden

In a few hours, I will be departing for Dublin, to return late on the 23rd of this month. Quite probably, I will have the chance to post something here while I am in Ireland, but please do not expect prompt responses to emails. My thanks to the many people who provided suggestions regarding what to do while I am over there. I still haven’t decided exactly where I will go for my away trip, but if Galway and the Aran Islands prove feasible, that would be my first choice at the moment.

All told, I don’t feel as though I am in the very greatest shape to be going on a solitary week-long trip. That said, I am generally anxious immediately before such travel, especially when it involves waking up so early and concerns about security and flights working out. That said, I am sure once I am there it will prove an interesting and worthwhile expedition.

Those looking for some entertainment in the interim should have a look at my brother Mica’s videos or my friend Alex’s ruminations on the papacy as an international actor (link removed 26 Sept 2006), according to taste.

[Update: 26 Sept 2006] Alex Stummvoll’s blog has been discontinued.

Milan August 16, 2006 at 11:39 am

Flight delayed four hours

Milan August 16, 2006 at 2:04 pm

Departure time still racing away faster than it approaches. At least two more hours, now.

Victoria Kowalewski August 16, 2006 at 5:58 pm

Are you reading Joyce’s “Dubliners”? As I recall, it is the most difficult of Joyce’s works, even more so than the voluminous “Ulysses”. Taking on such a challenge comes as no surprise from someone who has taken his cue from Joyce, calling himself “Night’s Sindark Knave.” Good luck reading “Dubliners”, I look forward to a review.
Also, have you heard of Dublin’s Joyce Festival. I believe that it is held in June. Perhaps you can go next year and take some photos.

Milan August 16, 2006 at 8:36 pm

Viki,

I couldn’t find a used copy of Dubliners in Oxford, so I am reading Sweetness in the Belly instead. So far, it is excellent. It reminds me of Anil’s Ghost, in many ways.

As for the origin of Night’s Sindark Nave as a phrase with personal relevance, it goes back to when Sarah Johnston was in Vancouver, and it is too long a story to tell here and now.

More on Ireland soon.

Anonymous August 18, 2006 at 9:28 pm

Victoria Kowalewski,

That’s ‘Night’s Sindark Nave.’ ‘Nave’ being the long portion of a church that intersects the transept, as opposed to ‘knave,’ meaning a deceitful and unreliable scoundrel.

Anonymous August 18, 2006 at 9:30 pm

From the poem Nightpiece, by Joyce.

Milan August 19, 2006 at 1:38 am

Anonymous,

That is all true. I hadn’t noticed the spelling used in the earlier comment.