One week passed in Vancouver

2006-09-13

in Canada, Daily updates, Travel

Crowded 99 B-Line bus near UBC

After a week in Vancouver – a week, already! – under clear blue skies, we have our first overcast day. For me, it is very welcome. It is a display of the city’s more familiar face: one complimentary to the sun-blasted one sometimes revealed in summer.

As I was telling Sarah yesterday, it feels really good to be back in a city. The change feels like going from a computer full of complicated software to a computer with a few familiar applications and a connection to the internet. The place feels more embedded in the world, more empowering, and generally closer to possibility.

Clear days are loveliest during the short time between when the sun falls below the horizon and the time when it actually gets dark. Because my judo classes used to end at exactly that time, during the summer, I still associate the particular quality of that light, and the way the shifting temperature feels, with those short walks home in judo pants.

Overcast days are excellent for hiking and biking, as well as for photography. There is no need to muck around with hats and sun creams, and the light is diffuse and well suited to being captured on film or with a digital sensor. All told, it makes me look forward even more to going walking near Trout Lake with Sasha W later today.

sasha September 13, 2006 at 5:54 pm

Milan,
Maybe I’m too fussy, but is the whole full name thing really necessary? I know you want to differentiate me from your brother, but couldn’t I just have a last initial or something? Avoiding having my full name online is just one of my personal hangups. Thanks!
Sasha W.

Milan September 13, 2006 at 5:59 pm

As you wish.

B September 13, 2006 at 6:42 pm

“dislikes dogs and sunny days” – just the thing to include in a personals ad

Jo September 13, 2006 at 9:19 pm

I hope you’re taking loads of photos and that they’ll be going online soon!

Ben September 13, 2006 at 9:53 pm

Milan September 14, 2006 at 2:17 am

“What do you mean back in a city? Oxford’s a city you know. Funny north Americans…”

There’s no way Oxford counts as a city. There isn’t a single building above five stories, and it is possible to walk anywhere in less than an hour or so.

Ben September 14, 2006 at 10:37 am

And I’m sure plenty of the towers/spires must be above five stories…

Milan September 14, 2006 at 4:14 pm

Towers and spires don’t really count as normal buildings. Vancouver has several office or residential buildings of around fifty stories.