Hey Tiger… wake up

2006-09-22

in Daily updates, Geek stuff

Now that I have enough RAM to be confident of being able to run Dashboard without making my iBook run like molasses, I picked up a copy of Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) from the UBC Bookstore today. Wish me luck – and no file corruption – for the cross-over. I probably won’t have time to carry out such an operation in Vancouver.

[Update: 6:00pm] Easiest operating system update ever. I started the installer, went for coffee, and came back to find my computer at the login screen. All my files and applications seem to have passed through the transition intact.

[Update: 7:00pm] Existing Tiger users: which widgets do you use, and why?

mek September 22, 2006 at 6:00 am

You realize that the man who said the thing the title of this post makes reference to was then mauled by the tiger, right?

Meghan September 22, 2006 at 5:33 pm

If you are going around waking tigers, you must expect some amount of mauling. They are fierce animals, prone to abducting legs.

Milan September 22, 2006 at 7:56 pm

Tigers are also elegant and mysterious. I like them.

Jessica September 23, 2006 at 7:08 am

Right now I have
DashTunes: Better than the stock iTunes controler.
Weather: Faster than loading a webpage
Calculator: I can’t do math in my head
Dictionary: Faster than loading a webpage (I use the Thesaurus more)
Calendar: Faster than loading iCal
Unit converter: Very handy, easier than looking online
iStat Nano: I was using iStat Pro, but it kept crashing, was a RAM hog, and took up too much room. Nano better for my small screen.
Guitar chords: Handy tool, I may or may not keep it.
World Clock: Set to New Zealand time because I have friends there and I can never remember the time difference.

Tristan September 24, 2006 at 1:07 am

I’m slightly confused; why did you purchase tiger legally, when Leapord is on the verge of being released?

Milan September 24, 2006 at 9:14 pm

Tristan,

The time had come, and I assume it will be impossible to go directly from Panther to Leopard, anyhow.