iPod timeline

2006-09-26

in Geek stuff, Music, Rants

A chronology of failure:

iPod the First:

• Purchased: 28 October 2004 for Canadian $443.46, all taxes included
  • 10 July 2005 – two extra years of AppleCare purchased for C$75.97 – best investment ever
  • Broken out of the box: would pause at the slightest bump
  • Time in my company: less than a week
  • Fate: replaced by iPod the Second

iPod the Second:

• Received in November 2004, too late for my birthday party around the 28th
  • Time in my company: eight months
  • Fate: hard drive failed on 7 July 2005, the day of the London Bombings

iPod the Third:

iPod the Fourth:

Summary:

• Mean survival time: 6.25 months
  • Mean cost per iPod: C$129.86
  • Approximate time spent by iPods in transport: 18 weeks
  • % of total time since purchase that represents: about 18%
  • Functional reliability rate of iPod, not counting broken time before being sent to Apple: 72%

Milan September 26, 2006 at 5:26 pm

1) I bought it directly from the Apple website. It was a bit cheaper than the student price at the UBC bookstore.

B September 26, 2006 at 7:39 pm

Being an Apple-obsessed moron, you will buy another iPod, rather than some more reliable mp3 player.

Milan September 26, 2006 at 7:44 pm

@B,

C$129.86 isn’t so bad. And that doesn’t even take into account iPod the Fifth, which will be here soon.

I have yet to see any player that matches the iPod in style or function.

Also, most of my library is now in AAC format, so I am a bit stuck.

R.K. September 26, 2006 at 5:18 pm

1) Why didn’t you just return iPod the first to the store? Why wait several weeks for sending it to Apple?

2) I can see why you don’t need Spotlight to find your information.

Milan September 29, 2006 at 12:04 am

iPod the Fourth is now packed in the little cardboard iPod coffin they sent me. Tomorrow, it goes to meet its maker.

Milan October 2, 2006 at 11:01 pm

Product: IPOD (CLICK WHEEL)
Serial number: ————
Repair ID: D——-
Service Requested: 26-Sep-2006
Status: Product replacement pending

Milan October 16, 2006 at 4:40 pm
Milan January 2, 2009 at 8:48 pm

My iPod Shuffle stopped working reliably a long time ago.

Nowadays, it usually needs to be turned off and on again several times before it will play any music.

Milan September 8, 2009 at 11:46 am

iPod the Fifth continues to function. That makes its lifetime so far about 2 years and 11 months – a lot better than the previous four.