Sustainable transport required

2007-07-27

in Canada, Daily updates, Ottawa, The outdoors

Now that I have a flat leased and am starting to collect furniture, the next target for a search is a bicycle. I am open to either a new or a used bike of a reasonable price. A hybrid is probably the correct formfactor, since I am unlikely to always use it on the road, but will generally be doing so. Picking up a pannier or two is also probably a good idea, especially given that I plan to commute to and from work by bike – at least until the snows begin.

Local intel is always valuable in these situations. Anyone who can speak to one of the following is encouraged to let me know: the relative merits of local bike shops selling used bikes, the same information on places that sell used ones, any specific opportunities to buy a good bike from a private individual. Having sold my Oxford bike in desperation, shortly before my departure, I know that relocating individuals with a moderate lack of foresight can be an excellent source of such vehicles.

Ben July 28, 2007 at 4:24 am

Too bad you don’t have people abandoning old ones in your garden…

Milan July 28, 2007 at 11:55 am

In Oxford, someone abandoned a rather new, perfectly good, and expensive looking bike in our yard. We called the police to say that we thought someone had dumped a stolen bike on our property, but never heard back from them.

Neal July 29, 2007 at 5:50 pm

Whatever bike you choose, I would recommend that it have disc brakes if you are planning to commute in the rain. In wet weather, when some douchebag decides to turn right without signaling or shoulder checking, it could mean the difference between your wheels locking and eating the curb, or being able to modulate your braking and stopping safely.

Alena Prazak July 29, 2007 at 8:20 pm

I would also encourage a hybrid as a good commuting investment whihc can then have wider uses. One can often do much better in the used market. The difference in price tends to be in the components. I do ot think that many bike shops do much be way of selling used bikes. Getting a bike before the influx of the student population in early fall can also make sense. Good luck in your search.

. July 25, 2008 at 2:49 pm

One study published earlier this year reckoned 33m Americans have jobs that could be done from home. If all of them started to telecommute instead of drive to work, oil imports would drop by over a quarter, and carbon emissions would fall by 67m tonnes a year. In terms of hours saved, each telecommuter would get the equivalent of an extra 25 working days of holiday per year.

Milan July 29, 2010 at 11:22 am

I did end up identifying and purchasing a bike.

It has served me very well ever since, despite cold and several crashes: 1, 2 (getting hit by a pickup truck in May 2009), 3.