Newly insulated

2007-12-04

in Canada, Daily updates, Ottawa, The outdoors

Milan Ilnyckyj looking scary

Through a trek to the Ottawa Mountain Equipment Co-Op and the application of three days’ pay, my respectable collection of wet weather gear has had quite a few degrees of cold capability added into it.

I got some good insulated Gore-Tex gloves (they make me feel less like a mutant than mitts do); I also got a merino wool base layer, a windproof toque to supplement the more attractive one Sarah made me, a fleece neck warmer thing that makes me look like a goon when worn with the toque, a little thermometer, and a couple of miscellaneous knick-knacks, shoe de-stinking agent, and a travel towel (for future trips to nearby cities).

Naturally, the only response to getting new gear is to go experiment with it. One’s first inclination with new gear is to discover its capacities and limits. In its way, the new stuff is like the bicycle was: an enabler of motion, and a gateway to increased capability within the city as it stands.

P.S. I hate plural possessives.

Anon @ Wadh December 4, 2007 at 10:49 am

That new hat looks dramatically more threatening than your old hat.

Anon @ Wadh December 4, 2007 at 11:21 am

This toque is the one I mean.

Litty December 4, 2007 at 12:49 pm

The full face cover probably isn’t necessary yet, except in windy places at night.

Just wait. It will get colder.

Emily Horn December 4, 2007 at 12:09 pm

Your ninja stealth capabilities are probably increased 10-fold with your balaclava thinger. You should test out this hypothesis by suddenly appearing behind various co-workers without notice, and hopping at them from ceilings. Throwing stars should be used sparsely, but not without regularity.

I am glad you have a warm shell to spite the bitter cold!

Emily Horn December 4, 2007 at 12:10 pm

… On reflection, I just made you sound like a ninja turtle.

(that is awesome.)

Milan December 4, 2007 at 1:00 pm
Milan December 4, 2007 at 1:00 pm

Seriously, they have a titanium spork. They actually have two, if you count the folding version.

Tristan Laing December 4, 2007 at 2:05 pm

I am very glad that you have acquired ottawa-caliber cold protection. The cold here simply is not cold, winter has not arrived. Possibly never will.