iBook dead

2007-12-10

in Daily updates, Geek stuff

After running a routine maintenance script, my iBook has decided that it no longer wishes to perform any of the functions traditionally associated with a computer. It will probably be a few days before I am up and running again, during which time I will be unable to check my personal email.

Given that I will probably have to wipe my hard drive and start over, it makes sense to pick up a copy of the new release of Mac OS before I do so.

Back in a few days.

[Update: 2:37am] After $100 and seven hours of backing up, formatting, and installation, the computer is healthy enough to access the web – and running Leopard to boot. The lengthy task of bringing back all my data and applications will need to wait for a later time.

[Update: 12 December 2007] It seems having byte-for-byte backups of data held in Apple software is not terribly useful. I can import my 14,000 image files back into iPhoto easily enough (though it takes six hours), but they lose all the information I have spent dozens of hours entering: locations where they were taken, who is in them, whether they have been used as blog photos, etc. This whole recovery process has me tearing out my hair in frustration, while spending six hours or more each night working on it.

R.K. December 11, 2007 at 12:33 pm

I hope it all comes back together soon. Computer troubles are always very frustrating.

Milan December 11, 2007 at 6:11 pm

Order of installation so far:

• Mac OS
  • Firefox
  • Quicksilver
  • TextMate
  • Fetch
  • iPhoto (library in the process of rebuilding)

Hopefully, I will have things properly up to speed before I get to bed (early) tonight.

Anon December 12, 2007 at 10:42 pm

Do not import the photos using iPhoto.

1) Open two Finder windows, one with the backup library and one with your new user folder.

2) Copy the former to the latter by entering “cp -r -v” into a terminal window, then dragging the source folder into the window, followed by the destination window.

3) Wait for the operation to complete.

4) Holding the Option key, start iPhoto

5) Select “Choose Library” from the dialogue box

6) All your photos, albums, keywords, etc should be imported along with the photos. This should happen in just a minute or so.

Milan December 12, 2007 at 11:11 pm

That worked. Thanks.

The option key thing is critical. I was holding the Apple key and the option key, trying to use the library rebuilding features instead of the library selection feature.

Milan December 12, 2007 at 11:39 pm

Added today:

• Photoshop CS
  • Adium
  • macam
  • Skype
  • iTunes library (imported from backup)
  • VideoLAN
  • Microsoft Office (because I missed Garamond)

I have been following a rule of installing things only when I actually feel that I need them. I am hoping to keep this new installation lean and working efficiently.

Milan December 13, 2007 at 12:33 am

One nice thing: my iPod worked as soon as I plugged it in, syncing my music as though nothing had changed.

Milan December 13, 2007 at 12:51 am

I just added something really essential: Hobbes icons for Adium.

Milan December 13, 2007 at 12:53 am

This can all be compared with my last Mac OS upgrade experience:

First impressions of Tiger
Tuesday, September 26th, 2006

Litty December 13, 2007 at 11:27 am

Good luck getting back up to speed completely.

Tristan December 13, 2007 at 1:58 pm

This is not that connected, but what word processing do you use other than word?

Milan December 13, 2007 at 4:26 pm

I use TextMate,

I missed Garamond because I had set Metafilter to use it as the default font. Because Office was not installed, it was using a very ugly alternative.

Milan December 16, 2007 at 11:03 pm

I discovered a comprehensive guide to backing up and restoring data and applications on a Mac.