A piece of software that does the following would be very helpful to me:
- Creates an encrypted archive on a USB key
- Does so using a credible open-source algorithm, such as AES
- Ideally, is open source and well scrutinized by competent members of the security community
- This archive can be read using software on the key, on either a Mac OS X machine or a Windows XP box
- The software that does the encryption and decryption does not require administrator priveleges to run.
Do any such utilities exist? TrueCrypt is cool, but requires an admin account. SanDisk’s CruzerLock is Windows only, and has a really awkward interface. The disk encryption feature of PGP cannot be run off a flash drive. The encrypted disk images created by Mac OS cannot be read using a Windows machine.