Fringe Festival suggestions

2008-06-23

in Canada, Daily updates, Ottawa

The Ottawa Fringe Festival is ongoing and, while I am a big fan of theatre, I was having some difficulty in picking out which plays to see. Thankfully, I was recently able to secure some suggestions from someone familiar with the festival and those performing in it:

Between now and when the festival ends on the 29th, I aim to see and report on at least a couple of these.

. June 23, 2008 at 7:35 pm

Wooing the bloggers
June 22nd 2008 Posted to A. Ottawa, F. The Whole Enchilada

The Ottawa Fringe Festival hosted a wine and cheese party for local bloggers last night at Arts Court.

. June 23, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Sunday, June 22, 2008
Out at the Fringe Festival

I met a constellation of my favourite bloggers on Saturday night at a wine and cheese hosted by the Fringe Festival.

Amy June 24, 2008 at 11:30 am

Hey, Sibilant —
I would LOVE to have you in the audience for “Circumference”. I realize your fellow blogger Knitnut just saw the show and had mixed reactions; I encourage you to see the show for yourself and see what your reactions are! Remaining performances are Thursday 6/27 at 9;30 pm, Saturday 6/28 at noon, and Sunday 6/29 at 5:30 pm.

Thanks, and happy Fringing!

— Amy Salloway, Awkward Moment Productions, “Circumference”

Laurie Fyffe June 24, 2008 at 11:46 am

Dear Sibilant:

Not too many reviewers checking out The Triumph of Judith Shakespeare yet, but the show must be getting a buzz on somewhere, our houses have jumped from 28 to 42 to 80 on Sunday. As playwright, I’m really looking for any and all feedback about this completely new script! And the cast are all new Ottawa thespians, eager to strut their stuff.

Hope you and fellow bloggers can attend!

This Wed, 6:30, Fri, 6:30 and Sat 8:00!

Have a great Fringe!

Laurie Fyffe

Milan June 24, 2008 at 12:06 pm

I have never felt so courted.

I should stress that the above is not a comprehensive list. It is the product of the past experiences of the sole experienced Fringe-goer I have been able to interrogate.

. June 24, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Fringe Festival: Circumference (and the dimensions of humour)
By zoom! on Fringe Festival

First off, a disclaimer: I have no experience at reviewing plays, and I’m probably less perceptive and insightful about plays than the average audience member. So please, take what I say with a grain of salt; it really is just my humble opinion.

I liked Circumference, but I found the audience reactions disconcerting.

Emily June 25, 2008 at 12:05 pm

re: I’ve never felt so courted

I wrote you a sonnet!

A sonnet!

Milan June 25, 2008 at 12:09 pm

My apologies. Your masterful sonnet is infinitely superior to the wine, cheese, passes, and blog comments thus provided by Fringe Festival personnel.

The comment above was largely made in jest.

Emily June 25, 2008 at 12:25 pm

I understand.. All it takes is a group of clamouring fans, some wine and cheese, free festival tickets and suddenly…

Yeah, that’s about enough.

Well, you’ll see. I will write the most sonnety sonnet EVER!!!! And all will bask in the glory of the sonnetiest sonnet that has ever been sonneted.

Gah ha!

zoom June 25, 2008 at 1:49 pm

You wrote him a sonnet? Really?

Emily June 26, 2008 at 2:20 pm

A real sonnet. Yup. Petrarchan.

. June 30, 2008 at 12:59 am

Sunday, June 29, 2008
Fringe Festival: Singing at the Edge of the World

Last week, the Ottawa Fringe Festival invited a bunch of us bloggers to a wine and cheese. As you know, I love free stuff, but what really got me there was (a) an opportunity to meet some of my favourite bloggers without them thinking I was stalking them [Even though bloggers tell you their favourite hangouts and where they are going, they may get freaked out if you show up at those places and introduce yourself]; and (b) guaranteed posting material.

. June 30, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Quoth the raven: there is more
June 22nd, 2008

Last night I attended the Ottawa Fringe Festival’s Blogging Wine and Cheese event. Kristina invited me to go with her. We started out with dinner at Perfection, Satisfaction, Promiseon Laurier and then meandered over to the event.

Milan June 14, 2009 at 1:33 am

The sonnet is magnificent, and continues to impress me.