Parties, walking, bikes, and gratitude

2006-06-04

in Daily updates, Oxford

Anna's cakeAfter walking about six miles home from Anna’s birthday party, my father talked me through the repair of the puncture in my rear tire. Now, I just need to buy a pump to replace the one I have deemed hopelessly lost. Since the cycle shops wanted to charge me eleven quid, or so, just to repair the punctured tube this is a very welcome development. Indeed, the eleven quid will cover most of the ‘go to Heathrow to meet Linnea’ shortfall. Excellent.

Now, I should sleep. My thanks to Anna for an entertaining party.

PS. Aside from being a very cool kind of cat, Cheshire is also a tasty – though very crumbly – kind of cheese. I actually find the cheese to be rather like the cat: it vanishes fairly quickly, but leaves a smile.

Anonymous June 4, 2006 at 4:52 pm

This optical illusion is pretty cool. There are more on the same page.

Anonymous June 4, 2006 at 5:00 pm

Thesis relevant:

“The Union of Concerned Scientists has announced a cartoon contest for amateur and professional artists. ‘The absurdity of political interference in science is fertile ground for satire,’ said Dr. Francesca Grifo, Director of the UCS Scientific Integrity Program. ‘We hope these contests encourage amateur and professional cartoonists alike to express concern–through humor and art–about the impact of the abuse of science on our safety, health and environment.’ A celebrity judge panel will select twelve finalists and the public will then choose the Grand Prize winner. The winner will receive a host of prizes, including $500 and an all-expenses-paid trip to have lunch with the celebrity judge of his or her choice. You can read Contest details, sample topics and the list of celebrity judges.”

(Via /.)

Anonymous June 4, 2006 at 5:01 pm

Entries are due for professionals and nonprofessionals by 11:59 p.m. EST on July 31, 2006.

Finalists for Science Idol will be posted on the contest website on September 5, 2006.

Milan June 4, 2006 at 7:11 pm

@Anons, whether the same person or not,

1) That is a cool illusions, thanks.

2) This is definitely relevant to my thesis. I look forward to seeing what people come up with.

@R.K.,

I realize it’s a “saccharine” pun, but it seemed at least a bit clever, regardless.

R.K. June 4, 2006 at 7:03 pm

“I actually find the cheese to be rather like the cat: it vanishes fairly quickly, but leaves a smile.”

With that kind of hackneyed, saccharine prose, you should really work for an ad agency.