Ever upwards

2007-01-23

in Geek stuff, Internet matters

WordPress Upgrade Chain:

Report bugs. Upgrades like this always make me nervous.

Papa Fly Productions and the nsn section should change over during the next couple of days, once I have kicked the tires here a bit.

[Update: 29 Jan 2007, 5:00pm] nsn portion upgraded to 2.1

[Update: 29 Jan 2007, 6:00pm] Papa Fly Films upgraded to 2.1. I was nervous about theme compatibility, so I made a full backup of the 2.0.7 install beforehand.

Milan January 23, 2007 at 1:30 am

First snag:

The Category Order 1.9.3 plugin does not work.

Thankfully, my modified Better Feed 1.1 plugin seems to.

Milan January 23, 2007 at 1:38 am

First complaint:

The new visual text editor still mangles the code of any post you open with it. After a single experiment, I have disabled it.

Milan January 23, 2007 at 1:54 am

First possibility:

Once I have modified the new upload manager to make 320×240 pixel thumbnails, I will save myself a good bit of time when posting photos of the day.

I posted a question about it on the support forum.

Seth January 23, 2007 at 6:25 am

I think I’m still running 2.0.4 or 2.0.5. I suppose I should update. I hate the visual editor too, but I’m too lazy to manage my own HTML. The visual works for my simple posts, but if I ad any images at all, it breaks.

Milan January 23, 2007 at 9:59 am

Seth,

I do all my images manually: edit in Photoshop, make a thumbnail, upload both with FTP, then write IMG tags to place it in the post.

It’s a bit of a pain, really.

Anonymous January 23, 2007 at 3:47 pm
Milan January 23, 2007 at 4:37 pm

Regarding thumbnails:

Open wp-admin/admin-functions.php and around line 2118 (near the bottom of the page) you will see the line below. Change the 128 value to 320. That should do it.

$max_side = apply_filters( ‘wp_thumbnail_max_side_length’, 128, $attachment_id, $file );

Anon @ Wadh January 24, 2007 at 2:51 pm

This kind of post is probably best dumped somewhere less visible.

Milan January 25, 2007 at 12:46 am

The thumbnail thing is all worked out, as you can see on today’s post.

Now, I am working on Angsuman’s Authenticated WordPress Plugin. I have posted a question about its compatibility with WP 2.1. If that is all good, I will shift nsn to 2.1 quite soon.