Hiking in six weeks

2007-01-23

in Daily updates, The outdoors, Travel

Snowdonia, from Google Maps

I just got confirmation that I will be hiking for four days in Snowdonia at the end of this term: between the 9th and 12th of March. This was one of the two possibilities mentioned earlier.

In Trinity Term, once all this thesis nonsense is done with, I will take another shot at getting a place in the Lake District trip. People tell me it’s essential.

Milan January 23, 2007 at 3:58 pm

I will definitely bring my A510, as I did in Scotland.

Quite possibly, I will also lug along the Elan 7N. I still have two rolls of T-max 400 from the Turkey trip.

R.K. January 23, 2007 at 3:51 pm

Cool. Make sure to bring your camera.

Alena Prazak January 23, 2007 at 11:45 pm

I am so glad that you will get this experience and adventure. I hope it will be as challenging as the past one was.

Anon @ Wadh January 24, 2007 at 2:50 pm

‘Snowdonia’ is an unusual place name. Do you know anything about the origin?

Milan January 24, 2007 at 5:06 pm

“The English name for the area derives from Snowdon, which is the highest mountain in Wales at 1085 metres (3,560 feet). In Welsh, the area is named Eryri. It is a common assumption that this is derived from eryr (“eagle”), but in fact it means quite simply Highlands, as leading Welsh scholar Sir Ifor Williams proved.”

From the Wikipedia entry linked in the original post.

Antonia January 24, 2007 at 6:24 pm

Both are beautiful areas. I’d never been to the Lake District before this Christmas but thoroughly recommend it.
Although you should bear in mind both are about 5 hours away from Oxford by car (taking the toll road around Birmingham for a swifter journey in the case of the Lake District).

Milan January 24, 2007 at 6:28 pm

Antonia,

The Walking Club handles all the transport – one of the reasons for which they are so excellent.