On the bureaucratic cusp

2007-07-15

in Canada, Daily updates, Ottawa

Ottawa skyscrapers

Having now investigated about fifty possible apartments to greater or lesser degrees, I feel like I am on the path to getting established in Ottawa. This is just as well, given that I begin work tomorrow morning. The 8:30am start and the relatively distant location mean a 6:30am wake-up time. Nobody who I know will be surprised to hear that I am unlikely to be thinking as well as I can during the first few hours. Given that they will probably be all about paperwork, getting a security pass, and the like, I doubt it will matter.

If all goes well, I will have moved into a nice new flat by the 1st of August and will be cycling to work on a newly acquired bike. I need to make the most of the summer – before that icy winter rolls in.

Alena Prazak July 16, 2007 at 12:04 am

All the best from all of us as you begin your new adventure

A, O, M, S

Lee July 16, 2007 at 12:29 am

All the best in your new job! (and good luck finding a flat)

Lindi July 16, 2007 at 12:07 pm

Let me know your new address as soon as you have one.

Then I can determine the feasability of installing a tunnel for the purposes of tea and good company without freezing….

;)

Mike Kushnir July 16, 2007 at 3:12 pm

i hope your first day was trouble-free and exciting…in any case, it was probably more fulfilling than mine…

Antonia July 17, 2007 at 6:22 am

You did mean 8.30 am start time, I take it?

. July 19, 2007 at 10:59 am

Bilingualism Bonus

If your position is designated bilingual, you are entitled to a bilingualism bonus of $800 per year, provided you pass the Public Service Commission (PSC) Second Language Evaluation (SLE). This does not apply to positions in the Executive (EX) group.

Further details concerning this bonus are available in Section 6 – Bilingualism Bonus of Treasury Board Chapter 5 – Additions to Basic Pay