Unbowlerized and hatless

2007-07-25

in Canada, Daily updates, Films and movies, Ottawa

Canadian seal

Working in a complex of government buildings, I feel as though I should be part of a parade of men in dark pinstripe suits and bowler hats, walking in from a train platform every morning. There should be large steam-driven clocks around, and everyone should have a crisp newspaper under the arm.

Though thousands of people must work in the four towers, the place never actually seems like a flow of people is moving in or out. This is especially curious given how pretty much everyone can be expected to vanish within ten minutes before or after 5:00pm.

Perhaps there should be an annual ’emulate a scene from a film like Brazil‘ day.

Anon July 25, 2007 at 10:54 pm

Eugene McCarthy

“The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is inefficiency. An efficient bureaucracy is the greatest threat to liberty.”

R.K. July 26, 2007 at 7:29 am

The absence of any women from this image partially reveals how dated it is.

. July 26, 2007 at 8:55 am
. July 26, 2007 at 8:58 am
Lindi July 26, 2007 at 1:13 pm

I must say, not such a fan of bowler hats. But most women will tell you – put a man in a suit and it doubles his sex appeal :)

I tried to email you this link but it seems as if none of addresses I have for you are functioning. Let me know how to reach you. But in the meantime…. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3425130,00.html

R.K. July 26, 2007 at 1:56 pm

put a man in a suit and it doubles his sex appeal

Do you have any large-n studies to corroborate that claim? Also, what methodology is employed to quantify sex appeal? Surveys or studies that track actual behaviour during real-world interactions?

Scott July 26, 2007 at 8:34 pm

Tell me you don’t work in the vile looking monstrosity that is Portage…
Dont forget, as pretty much all the Democratic candidates emphasised again and again… and again in the last debate: There is no higher calling than public service.

Milan July 26, 2007 at 9:17 pm

I work in the TLC complex, up the river a bit from the Portage buildings. I met a young woman who works there today. She does consulting for CIDA.

Anon July 27, 2007 at 10:00 am

TLC = Terrasses de la Chaudière

Les Terrasses de la Chaudière is Environment Canada’s headquarters for the Minister’s and Deputy Minister’s offices, Human Resources and Service Innovation and Policy and Communications.