New social networks

2007-07-24

in Canada, Daily updates, Ottawa

Ottawa bike path

As the process of getting settled continues, it seems time to consider aspects aside from the simple physical realities of life. Specifically, I am thinking about finding some places aside from work where I can meet my fellow denizens of this most governmental city. Some sort of club may be ideal, whether photographic, literary, oriented towards the outdoors, or interesting in an entirely different way.

Can anyone more familiar with Ottawa think of any stand-out examples? Once fall arrives, there will probably be some prospects through Carleton and the University of Ottawa.

PS. Sorry for the dearth of posts with substantive content. Unsurprisingly, I have been busy with work, commuting, and the apartment hunt. I will have something non-narrative to say soon. In the interim, take a look at this fisheries blog that I found: Shifting Baselines, writen by Jennifer Jacquet, a member of the Sea Around Us project at UBC.

Edward July 25, 2007 at 11:19 pm

Well, there are always cool people an hour and a half away, i.e. at Queen’s! But yes, U of O and Carlton would be some good places to hang out with people who have similar interests.

p.s. – check out my Obama pics on facebook :)

Litty July 26, 2007 at 1:27 pm

Try the Dusty Owl Reading Series:

Litty July 26, 2007 at 1:29 pm

Also, Capital Slam

. July 26, 2007 at 5:06 pm

Let’s face it: reading environmental journalism too often feels like eating your vegetables. Boiled. With no butter.

But at Grist, we believe that news about green issues and sustainable living doesn’t have to be predictable, demoralizing, or dull. We butter the vegetables! And add salt! And strain metaphors!

Milan July 27, 2007 at 1:18 pm
Neal July 29, 2007 at 2:15 pm

I’ve been reading Shifting Baselines for a few months now. I don’t know why I haven’t mentioned it before. Scienceblogs is a great resource.