I just completed my most aesthetically pleasing bike ride for a long time. Residents of Ottawa should consider doing the following:
- Begin in the park near 111 Sussex, right around sunset.
- Ideally, start on the far side of the series of two white metal bridges spanning the water near there.
- About ten minutes after sunset, on a spring evening, begin following the route below.
- Ride to 111 Sussex and follow the path that hugs the water beside it. The path in question follows the water’s edge in this picture.
- Cross Sussex drive.
- Ride along it, past DFAIT headquarters.
- Continue past the Saudi embassy.
- Follow the curve of the road past the Kuwaiti Embassy and the National Gallery.
- Ride into Major’s Hill Park.
- Ride to the terrace beside the Chateau Laurier. Follow it to the stairs parallel to the Rideau Canal locks.
- Carry your bike up the stairs.
- Walk across the bridge towards Parliament.
- Carry your bike down the stairs to the path beside the Rideau Canal locks.
- Follow the riverside path west as far as you care to go.
The whole route looks gorgeous in the fading evening light, when the sky still offers a bit of competition for the artificial lights.