Two bicycles built for one

2008-06-22

in Daily updates, Ottawa, The outdoors

Emily got a gorgeous Montreal-made hybrid bike yesterday. It’s an Opus Urbano, and should prompt much exploration of the areas in and around Ottawa.

Fellow cyclists should consider attending the June Critical Mass ride, happening in cities throughout the world. The Ottawa version starts next Friday (the 25th) at 5:30pm in Confederation Park, near City Hall.

T June 22, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Ironically, I finally got the part (shifters) that makes my Sekine ridable yesterday. So, now I have 2 bikes. It’s the same as my white Apollo, but 2 inches shorter. It’s amazing what a difference those 2 inches make – it feels so much more alive (agile), and faster (I think its lighter).

Milan June 22, 2008 at 12:35 pm

At least you will be able to offer a bike to bikeless friends with whom you want to go riding.

t June 22, 2008 at 1:43 pm

This is true,

will emily be bringing her bike to Toronto?

t June 22, 2008 at 1:46 pm

You say hybrid, but this looks very mountain-bikish to me

Milan June 22, 2008 at 3:19 pm

She will be bringing it to Toronto, which is excellent.

If we imagine a spectrum running from road bikes to mountain bikes, with hybrids in the middle, hers would be on the side towards the latter. I tried riding it today and it feels much like a mountain bike. It also has fairly fat tires at low pressure.

That being said, it is really not designed for trail use. It is primarily an urban beast.

t June 22, 2008 at 5:15 pm

I recommend very highly to inflate the tires to the recommended maximum pressure indicated on the sidewalls. Remember how suprisingly fast your mountain bike was at Galiano because I inflated the tires to 60psi?

. June 23, 2008 at 8:53 am

The Bicycle, ’tis a Fine Machine

By blackhats on Uncategorized

I bought me a bike. Now that I have a job(s) I can do these things. Well, this thing. I still have Mr. Visa to confront. And some other minor… *mumble*

Anyways, buying a bike was important. Because jobs require quick transport so one can maximize the amount of dilly-dally in one’s day pre-work. And buying a sexy, sexy new bike .. Well, that was an illicit thrill.

Litty June 23, 2008 at 4:29 pm

From the photos, that bike looks very snazzy.