Job progression

2009-08-11

in Daily updates, Ottawa

Chaudiere Bridge girders

Contrary to the circulating rumours, I am actually alive and well. For the next two years, I will be participating in a development program. Last week was the hectic orientation, and I started at my first placement (of four) on Monday. Naturally, I am still waiting for the paperwork required to turn on my computer, or go to the bathroom unescorted.

Aside from reading up on tax policy, the last couple of days have given me a chance to catch up on issues of The Economist . One tidbit from the August 8th issue amused me:

“Bill Clinton held a surprise meeting in Pyongyang with North Korea’s Kim Jong Il. During the visit the reclusive North Korean dictator pardoned two jailed female American journalists, who had been sentenced to hard labour. They returned to America with the unreclusive Mr. Clinton.”

Unreclusive, indeed.

As for all matters climate change and energy related, I will get back on top of that soon, though probably not posting with the same regularity and dedication that characterized the last two years. After all, I have a photographic exhibition to roll out. Also, I am thinking about joining some sort of environmental organization, so as to keep involved with that side of things while career wanderings take me elsewhere.

Emily August 11, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Contrary to the circulating rumours, I am actually alive and well.

… There were rumours that you were dead?

Hilary August 11, 2009 at 6:55 pm

No no, that he was alive, but had a slight cough. Or maybe jaundice. Possibly shark herpes.

Hella Stella August 11, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Shark herpes! Exotic!

Emily August 11, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Can’t be too careful during shark week!

R.K. August 11, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Dead’s what I heard. That or driven into monastic seclusion by climate change deniers.

alena August 12, 2009 at 12:22 am

Good for Clinton to venture into such shark infested waters and come back unbitten. So glad to hear from you again… Reading your blog is a highlight every day, even when I cannot understand the entry. Good luck with the new program at work and have fun selecting your photos for the exhibit.

oleh August 12, 2009 at 12:28 am

Good to hear from you again.

I wonder if the release of the journalists was pre-arranged be fore Clinton’s departure. The release happened so quickly after his arrival.

It also illustrates the potential statesmen role of American Presidents, something their Canadian counterparts do not seem to emulate.

All the best in your new program and other ventures including your photography exhibit and in joining an environmental organization.

Anon August 12, 2009 at 8:55 am

It’s good to see that the US makes an effort to help their citizens when treated unjustly by foreign courts. Canada’s government would have left them rotting in jail.