LC^3T: Thunder Bay – Winnipeg

2009-12-20

in Canada, Daily updates, Travel

Batteries are drained: mental along with phone and music. I bought the wrong batteries for my iPod range extender, but may be able to correct the error when in Winnipeg.

I am meeting my cousin there, which should permit a shower, decent food, and mental refreshment.

I have been looking places up on Wikipedia as I pass through. You don’t learn much about them in a few minutes through a bus window. Bus stations, I can report, are highly uniform in content and appearance.

alena December 20, 2009 at 11:11 am

It is exciting to follow your progress. You have come a long way! I am so glad that you will have a longer break in Winnipeg with a visit and a shower. Hope it will recharge your own batteries. How are you feling physically up to now?

oleh December 20, 2009 at 11:57 am

Over 24 hours on the road and still in the same province. Ontario is such a large province.

Have you been able to sleep? to read? to meet people?

How is the bus trip or the bus trip experience different from what you expected it to be?

OI also found that learning about small places through Wikipedia is limiting. There seems to be a pattern of telling about the early formation of the community and providing some of census information and maybe one or two other matters. Often there are not extensive write-ups by community organizations. Winnipeg may have more written about it. Also you may be able to get more general information by checking out the entries about the individual provinces.

Emily December 20, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I hope you have a chance to shower and mentally recoup for the rest of your journey.

This really gives you incentive to make friends all across Canada!

You have many people waiting at the other end for you, to give you congratulatory hugs and egg nog and drag you up mountains. :)

Padraic December 20, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I´m jealous of your ability to check Wikipedia along the way, I always wish I could do that when I´m travelling.

Milan December 20, 2009 at 5:33 pm

I am now in Kenora, finally almost out of Ontario. There were no cell towers during the past couple of hours. At least, none Fido phones automatically connect to.

Milan December 20, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Taking the bus cross country is just like taking it from Ottawa to Toronto over and over again. So far, now special insights and encounters. Just extra time to pass and longer spans without decent food.

The Winnipeg visit looks like it will be a bit rushed and strained for logistical reasons.

Ihor December 21, 2009 at 4:46 am

a most inspiring journey taken by
a true environmentalist