LC^3T: Part II

2010-01-13

in Canada, Daily updates, Travel

Compared with Part I, the second voyage was more chaotic but also more visually appealing. Not having something terribly exciting to look forward to contributes to a certain lack of focus and discipline on the voyage. On the positive side, I actually passed through some scenic areas during the daytime.

My video camera also suffered several cold-related battery failures, which explains some of the smash cut editing near the end.

oleh January 13, 2010 at 7:12 am

Thanks for your second video.

Did you mean to keep the city bus section going over the Lions Gate Bridge at the beginning in the video?

The mountains before Merritt on the Coquihalla seemed quite impressive. I mistook them for larger ranges.

The sense of sleep deprivation by the time you reached Schreiber at the end of your second day seemed to come out – bags under your eyes, difficulty identifying time left in journey, fumbling with camera.

Seeing you in the video re-enforced my gratitude for you making such a long journey.

zoom January 13, 2010 at 8:50 am

Good for you Milan, and welcome home. I know you’d rather be in Vancouver, but I think Ottawa needs you more.

Milan January 13, 2010 at 9:04 am

It is actually a different clip from the one in the first video.

In the first video, the camera is stuck out the sunroof of the Avalon on the morning of the arrival. In this one, I am on a West Vancouver bus the evening before my departure.

alena January 13, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I really had a sense of how worn out you were by the end of the journey. The stops, the bus and the whole process seemed to take a lot of endurance. It’s the time in between the two journeys that will hopefully count. Also the fact that you did what you believe is right.

Milan January 13, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Not right, just least wrong, given the options available today.

Alex January 14, 2010 at 11:46 am

Would you do the same trip again? If yes, when?

Milan January 14, 2010 at 11:50 am

I would do it again, if I could get three or more weeks off work.

Maybe in a couple of years.

. April 8, 2013 at 5:46 pm

D – 37.0 – Unseen Academicals – Discworld (Terry Pratchett)
– Highlight on Page 299 | Loc. 4574-78 | Added on Sunday, March 24, 2013, 06:20 AM

The bus was for people, as the driver had pointed out, who couldn’t afford speed but could afford time. In its construction, therefore, no expense had been attempted. It was really no more than a cart with double seats all the way along it from the driver’s slightly elevated bench. Tarpaulins on either side kept out the worst of the weather but fortunately still let in enough of the wind to mitigate the smell of the upholstery, which had experienced humanity in all its manifold moods and urgencies.