Shaving methods

2011-04-24

in Films and movies, Internet matters, Rants

I have previously mentioned Put This On as an interesting fashion-themed blog. It seems worth pointing out that their fourth video ‘Grooming‘ is full of what I consider bad advice.

They suggest that the proper way to shave is to use shaving soap, a badger hair brush, and an old-fashioned razor. This is dangerous, takes forever, and involves terrorizing badgers.

You are much better off getting some shaving oil (like the kind sold by King of Shaves) and a modern razor like the Mach3. Shaving oil doesn’t hide your skin, so you are less likely to cut yourself, and a couple of drops per day is all that is required. It is quick, cheap, safe, and vegan-friendly.

Matt April 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Have you tried any electric razors and if so, what is your impression of them? I find shaving to be a particularly tedious task given how frequently it is required.

I’ve been using the aforementioned Mach3 since I was a teen and although it has been the best of the disposables I’ve tried, I still wind up with a lot of irritation. I’m contemplating a switch to electric, but the expense of a quality one is off-putting for something I might not like.

Milan April 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I don’t think too highly of electrics. There always needs to be a screen between the blades and the skin of the person using them, which means they always leave hairs a small fraction of a millimeter above the skin.

Rebecca April 24, 2011 at 11:48 pm

This is very funny and possibly even applicable to females, particularly disorganized luddite ones who shave using only water and dollar-store men’s razors.

Milan April 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I cannot comment on the usefulness of shaving oil for non-facial hair.

Byron Smith April 26, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Or you can grow a beard.

Rebecca April 30, 2011 at 1:46 am

I cannot grow a beard.

Milan April 30, 2011 at 10:20 am

All the more reason to support stem cell research.