XKCD is right, this is worth a look today:
List of common misconceptions
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Nero didn’t fiddle while Rome burned.
- The ancient Greeks knew that the Earth was spherical, and how large it was.
- Napoleon was not short. He was slightly taller than the average Frenchman.
- The Emancipation Proclamation didn’t free slaves in the northern states.
- The Great Wall of China cannot be seen from space using the naked eye.
- People did not evolve from chimpanzees.
Etc, etc, etc.