Body, lens, and battery grip damaged

January 1, 2013

in Daily updates, Geek stuff, Massey College, Photography

Maya Goldenberg playing the piano in the Massey College dining hall

Moments after this photo was taken, my tripod slipped and my 5D Mk II, complete with battery grip and 24-70 f/2.8L lens crashed violently into the wooden floor.

The front of the lens is smashed, and the camera no longer connects properly to the battery grip. The lens also creaks a bit when zooming and focusing, though a very preliminary assessment suggests that it can still autofocus.

I will be taking the whole assembly to Henry’s tomorrow so that they can send it off to Canon for repair. I have no idea how much the repair will cost – or if any issues will remain with the body, grip, or lens once the repairs are done.

During the next month or so, I will try to sell some affordable prints in order to pay some of the repair cost.

anon January 1, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Looks like there’s a filter on the lens

Is only the filter smashed or is the lens itself damaged?

Milan January 2, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I don’t know. Lens, body, and grip have all been sent to Canon for evaluation and repair.

Here are some of the first prints I may be selling as part of my effort to build up a camera repair fund:

Collage of photos from Coach House Press

They are all from this set, taken at Toronto’s Coach House Press.

Here is a collage from a prior exhibition.

m. January 3, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Milan, so sorry this happened. Your photos are beautiful and I can’t wait to see more once your camera is fixed.

Milan January 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Three other prints I made as Christmas gifts:

Three of Milan Ilnyckyj's photos from 2011-2012

They all look great as 12″ by 18″ prints.

oleh January 4, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Do you have a camera to use while the repair is proceeding?

Milan January 5, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I am shooting film with my Élan 7N.

So far, I have sold five prints.

Milan January 11, 2013 at 11:32 am

It occurred to me that an interesting way to sell photography might be to sell a 12″ by 18″ frame that comes with a ‘subscription’ to ten years worth of prints.

Subscribers would get the frame with the current print, and would then be provided with a replacement print annually. Subscribers would gradually acquire a significant collection of some of my best work across the whole span.

The biggest problem would likely be mailing the prints to people without them getting damaged.

Another issue would be appropriate pricing. Perhaps something like $1000 for the ten years, with an extra cost for shipping prints outside North America.

Milan January 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

My photo gear repairs are going to be even more expensive than expected: an extra $340 for the 5D Mk II body an extra $353 for the 24-70 f/2.8L lens, and an extra $122 for the battery grip, plus taxes.

I will need to sell a lot of prints to deal with this!

Antonia January 25, 2013 at 7:29 am

Cardboard tube has worked fine for some prints but depends on print medium.
I’m hoping to see you back and shooting with the highter quality camera soon.

Milan January 25, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I got my 5D back – though the battery grip is still with Canon.

I already got some rooftop snow photos:

as well as some print shop macro photos: