Lots more glitches to be worked out

2006-05-06

in Internet matters

It seems WordPress wasn’t ready for the prime time. By which I mean that I horribly broke it within minutes of the move and simply cannot get it to work again. We get to stick with Blogger for a while yet.

Dear computer gods: I think I did something wrong, with regards to the .htaccess file. I know that’s how WordPress manages it’s bewildering system of Permalinks, and now mine are all broken. I’ve tried re-creating the file in every way I can think of. Any suggestions? You won’t be able to leave comments… because the Permalinks are broken!

Milan May 6, 2006 at 9:53 pm

A few minutes ago, my permalinks were broken. Now they work. To me, this suggests that the problem was probably on GoDaddy’s end of things, since I wasn’t doing anything to any files or settings when the transition happened. After I finish my core seminar paper, I will make another attempt at shifting the WordPress blog to the root of sindark.com, and the Blogger version to sindark.com/blogger/

B May 7, 2006 at 12:03 am

The permalinks seem to work now. Was it just a badly timed hosting outage that made your migration fail? Hopefully so.

Anon May 7, 2006 at 4:20 pm

The dotted line around the central part of the page is also distracting looking in IE.

It would probably be better solid.

Anon May 7, 2006 at 5:13 pm

Also, what’s the purpose of posting the academic CV? You’re not looking for an academic job, are you?

Milan May 7, 2006 at 5:50 pm

@Anon,

I am just drawing together information that was previously dispersed around the web, in one place where people can find it and where I can keep track of it.

I need to fix the way nested blockquotes look, however.

As for the dotted line, how it looks seems to depend on the version of IE. I generally like how it looks in Firefox (the browser I recommend) and find it tolerable in IE 6.

@B,

That is what I am hoping, also. We will see when I make another attempt on Tuesday night or some time Wednesday.

Comment via email May 8, 2006 at 10:37 am

It all looks good, but might it look better with:

1) Smaller text (ie – the same as the old blog)
2) Text that wraps around the pictures.

Milan May 8, 2006 at 10:47 am

Re: comment via email,

Since the paragraphs in the new blog are justified, you get that weird broken-newsprint look if you put too small a block of text to the side of a picture – such as those I post daily. I do wrap text around vertical images, however:

You can see, even in that image, the kind of odd staggering I am talking about.

Since this page is dynamically generated, it is far more tolerant of increased and decreased font sizes set through your browser than the static HTML Blogger system was.