Oxford from above

2006-10-04

in Geek stuff, Internet matters, Oxford, Photography

Wadham College, Oxford MCR bop

As a recent comment proves, there is at least one thing Microsoft does better than Google: display aerial views of Oxford.

Compare Google Maps, centred on Wadham College, with the Windows Live equivalent: enormously superior.

Here, you can see:

Those pointed out, I should return to the overly loud MCR freshers party, and stop worrying about my ongoing student loan appeal dialogue. People should feel encouraged to list more nice Oxford locations in the comments (with links to Live Local photos).

Milan October 4, 2006 at 9:55 pm
Mark October 5, 2006 at 12:57 am

http://www.flashearth.com nicely integrates the Microsoft and Google imagery so you can have the best of both worlds.

Milan October 5, 2006 at 2:12 am

Mark,

Interesting. I will need to give it more of a look when more awake.

On the Local Live pages, there is an insane perspective effect on Balliol. You can see the south face of south walls and the north face of north ones. This suggests that they slant inwards. More likely, it is a collage of multiple images.

This is the area I mean, look closely.

Nick from OZ October 5, 2006 at 1:13 pm

Thank you for introducing me to Windows Live Local! Unlike maps.google in Australia, Windows live has driving directions functionality! No need to purchase a map ever again… assuming I carry my laptop everywhere…

Haven’t read the blog for a while, but Ellen and I are glad to hear you’re well. All is good at our end :)

Milan October 5, 2006 at 5:16 pm

Nick,

It is good to hear from you. Things are ticking upwards in the direction of ‘exceptionally busy’ at the moment. I hope we speak soon.

Milan March 1, 2007 at 11:29 pm

People searching for satellite imagery may be interested in this:

Nuclear Test Sites