Party in two weeks

2006-10-14

in Daily updates

On the 28th of this month, my roommates and I will be throwing a party. My favourite thing about it is the theme, which arose during a brainstorm session in the dance room on the top floor of Lee’s flat last night. It shall be a “come as your supervisor” party. The point being to dress as your academic supervisor, as well as adopt their mannerisms and mode of speech. Especially interesting will be cases where more than one guest is emulating the same person.

Anonymous October 14, 2006 at 2:32 pm

May I suggest there be a small prize for whoever provides the best impersonation?

Victoria Kowalewski October 14, 2006 at 5:33 pm

That is the best idea I’ve ever heard. I wish I was there so that I could come as my supervisor (he wears button-down shirts with gold chains and has grey hair peaking through). Smashing!

Ben October 14, 2006 at 10:33 pm

Sounds a good idea.

I find it interesting you refer to your housemates as roommates (

Milan October 14, 2006 at 10:49 pm

Ben,

The OED backs me up on this one: “One who lodges in or occupies the same room or rooms with another; a fellow-lodger.”

Milan October 15, 2006 at 5:02 pm

I broke my week-long personal Facebook prohibition to put this event on there.

Lee October 17, 2006 at 11:11 am

As AH would say, “what’s the logic of a come-as-your-supervisor” party?

Sadly I won’t be able to say that in person as I’ll be in London that night but I hope you guys have fun.

Milan October 17, 2006 at 11:43 am

Lee,

The logic is that it is both an anti-establishment activity and a backhanded reference to the fact that our supervisory relationships are meant to be, in some sense, based on our emulation of them. That may explain some of the humour. More is explained by the prospect of people who look very different from their supervisors trying to imitate them: Emily as Professor Sir Adam Roberts, for instance.