Planning to vanish in a week

2007-03-25

in Travel, Writing

Branscombe, Devon, UK

Please note: I will be in Branscombe, Devon working on my thesis between the 31st of March and the 7th of April, as previously noted. During this period, I will have limited internet connectivity at best. Upon my return, I will have sixteen days left to finish my thesis, so don’t expect to hear enormously much from me during this period.

Oh, and I will be leaving for Paris sometime soon after the submission of my thesis on April 23rd…

[Update: 11:30pm] I have just learned that there will be… no Internet access at all. I am told that: “There may be some internet cafes in Sidmouth, a walkable 6 miles away.” Gasp! Sputter! That is almost reason enough to just stay and work in Oxford.

[Update: 26 March 2007] For some reason, whenever I go on vacation my reader numbers plummet. This happens when I leave pre-written posts set to appear at timed intervals. It seems to happen even when I blog from internet cafes while on vacation. Should I simply not bother, leaving a pause in this long-advancing progression of text?

Anon @ Wadh March 25, 2007 at 10:39 pm

Regarding internet access:

Surely there is a phone there. Oxford does offer dial-up internet service.

Milan March 25, 2007 at 10:44 pm

Good thinking. I already have a remote access account.

I have never actually used the modem in my iBook, except to send the occasional fax in Canada. I will have to test it. Also, find out how much it would cost to call Oxford from Devon…

Is this trip a good idea? So many of my notes are on the wiki… and the internet is my lifeblood…

Ben March 25, 2007 at 10:55 pm

It may be a good idea to take printed hard copy of your notes and/or save them onto a pen drive just in case. You don’t want to risk being without them I take it…

Anon @ Wadh March 25, 2007 at 11:49 pm

For some reason, whenever I go on vacation my reader numbers plummet.

Er… might it not simply be that you aren’t accessing the site?

Milan March 25, 2007 at 11:55 pm

Nope. It doesn’t count visits from my computer (IP address filtering).

Tim March 26, 2007 at 10:35 am

“Should I simply not bother, leaving a pause in this long-advancing progression of text?”

Just leave it be. Finish your thesis.

Antonia March 26, 2007 at 12:12 pm

On this occasion – concentrate on the thesis. On other vacations, vacation updates or pre-written items are much appreciated, if feel you want to devote the time to them.
How long are you in Paris for?

Mark March 28, 2007 at 2:36 pm

For some reason, whenever I go on vacation my reader numbers plummet.

Possibly other people go on vacation too.

Milan March 28, 2007 at 3:24 pm

Mark,

Consider the trip to Wales. It was four days long and I had pre-written posts appearing at daily intervals. Nonetheless, readership fell by about 20% a day until my return. Some of that was part of a normal weekend slump, but it was much more dramatic than usual.

Take a look at the figures for the 9th through 12th on this graph.

(A note to those reading this a few weeks hence: the graph will have moved on.)

Milan March 28, 2007 at 7:18 pm

I have written minimal blog posts, with photos, for the period of 31 March to 5 April. I will produce two more before I depart.