Nearly at the end of the line

2007-04-15

in Daily updates, M.Phil thesis, Oxford

Thesis draft

While distant forests shrieked at me from afar this afternoon, I printed off a copy of the most recent versions of my three substantive chapters and reviewed them in the Wadham Library. As much as I am used to spending ten hours of more watching words glow on an LCD display, editing only seems to reach its full potential when there are things to be crossed out, big arrows to be drawn, and incisive notes to be written with the margins.

Generally, I am quite happy with what is written. Things are not arranged or argued in quite the waythey would be if I started over now, but the major themes that arose from my research are reasonably well articulated. As has been the case for the past week, the biggest task remaining is the relocation of some bits of what has already been written and the filling in of some gaps.

I may even be able to attend the thesis-completion barbecue that some members of my program are holding on Friday evening.

Anon April 15, 2007 at 11:03 pm

Much better to be at the end of the line than at the end of your rope, isn’t it?

Ben April 15, 2007 at 11:39 pm

I agree, printing is the best way to do final editing. Though I despair how many trees are going to die in the course of my thesis…

Milan April 16, 2007 at 9:39 am

At least the paper was recycled.

If my financial position were stronger, I would offset the carbon emissions associated with the thesis project and say so somewhere on it.

Anonymous April 16, 2007 at 9:47 am

“Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless.”
-Thomas A. Edison

Antonia April 16, 2007 at 3:55 pm

Good to hear. btw re Paris – an update (with amended links) of my problematic comment has been entered on my LJ instead. Draft book response is in progress, but already dauntingly long and disorganised.

Milan April 16, 2007 at 4:01 pm

Note to self: the entry mentioned just above is here.

Alena Prazak April 17, 2007 at 9:28 pm

I am prepared to offset your carbon emissions related to the thesis as a small gift to you. Please let me know how to go about it.

Milan April 17, 2007 at 10:12 pm

Mom.

I know a company that will offset 6 tonnes of CO2 equivalent – which should easily cover the thesis project – for US $72. I sent an email to another such company. Hopefully, I will hear from them soon. They did the carbon offsetting for the Survey on Climate Change printed in the 9 September 2006 issue of The Economist.

Milan May 9, 2007 at 5:42 pm

The tragedy of the commons

May 7th 2007
From Economist.com
Property rights may be the way to preserve forests