Spiraling through town

2007-04-23

in Daily updates, Oxford

I am off to deposit my thesis at the Exam Schools. Then, I am giving my friend Hilary – who is visiting Oxford for four days prior to our departure for Paris – my comprehensive tour of Oxford. Those who have been given it before will remember that it is fairly lengthy: with southern and northern components that can very easily take three hours or more each.

[Update: 2:30pm] The thesis has been deposited. Both literally and figuratively, it is now out of my hands. I hope all the people who dared to have theirs bound in London this morning managed to get them submitted to the Exam Schools by noon.

Aquinas April 23, 2007 at 10:21 am

With your newfound admiration for Gill Sans I hope your tour includes a trip to see the Gill statues in St John’s!

Anon @ Wadh April 23, 2007 at 1:10 pm

Where are these statues?

Milan April 23, 2007 at 3:01 pm

I admire Gill’s work, perhaps not his life choices.

I would, however, be interested in seeing these statues. Are they of him or by him?

Aquinas April 23, 2007 at 6:43 pm

By him – in the library and in the lodge tower. IIRC they’re biblically themed but I can’t now remember exactly who they are.

Milan April 24, 2007 at 12:36 am

Aquinas,

Oxford libraries seem loathe to allow access to people other than members of the particular college in which they are located. My supervisor at Nuffield apparently isn’t allowed into the St. Antony’s library, despite how appropriate the content is to his research.

Aquinas April 24, 2007 at 6:34 pm

I think the person behind the desk (used to be Ruth Ogden) will let people into St John’s library if they beg to see the Gill.

Milan April 24, 2007 at 11:44 pm

Aquinas,

I have added this to my list of things to see in Oxford before I leave.