Precious MEC

2007-07-04

in Daily updates

Vancouver grafitti

The fact the Mountain Equipment Co-Op owns the web address mec.ca is perhaps a nod to the fanaticism with which the shop is viewed by admirers. Today, I picked up a new pair of trainers, some nice polarized sunglasses (to replace the awful ones I got in Morocco), and a small pair of inexpensive binoculars that nonetheless have surprisingly good optics. Peering around downtown Vancouver with them was a lot of fun; the lack of tall buildings in the UK is one of my least favourite things about the place.

All three items should be helpful for the Barrier Lake retreat, as well as for the hike next week.

Anon July 4, 2007 at 8:32 pm

What sort of binoculars did you get?

Kate July 4, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Please excuse the intrusion, but *so exciting* the new Golden Compass trailer is out!

tristan July 4, 2007 at 11:49 pm

Cabin Feever

I believe you are going with Nick. He is in Naramata. he is taking two cars.

I am going to be back in vancouver on Friday morning or early afternoon. My number in surrey is 574-5681. My cell is 778-232-3123. If you do need to come with me (Space is tight), give me a ring. I can perhaps shoehorn someone else into Benn’s car (not you). We will be meeting at King George Skytrain at sometime, probably 430 or 5.

Welcome back to Vancouver! A bit short, but it is good to have you back.

Milan July 5, 2007 at 9:52 am

Kate,

I am seriously torn about whether to see the film. There will be lots of nice Oxford imagery, but I am worried it will overwrite what I imagined on the basis of the book.

Milan July 5, 2007 at 12:06 pm

Tristan,

I believe I have a spot in Nick’s BMW for the trek up to Barrier Lake, though I am not sure what time he is leaving. Hopefully, I will speak with him today. Some food arrangements also need to be made.

Kate July 5, 2007 at 6:28 pm

Milan, I agree with your concern, although what I have seen thus far of the movie I think looks quite good. When seeing Lord of the Rings and Narnia, I had the same concerns, although I was able to separate the movie version from my dear own personal ideas.

Milan July 5, 2007 at 9:08 pm

Kate,

I think I lost some aspects of Lord of the Rings completely when I saw the films. At one level, that suggests that it was very well cast. At another, it means that seeing the film can destroy some of what you drew from the books.

Antonia July 6, 2007 at 6:34 am