Thinking of making a break for the mountains

2008-03-16

in Daily updates, Ottawa, The outdoors

I went to MEC today to buy a replacement snap connector for my Arcteryx backpack and see if there is any way to stop the worn inner heels of my shoes from cutting my feet when I walk (there isn’t). This definitely beats the record for the least amount of money spent during a trip to that store: $5.50, more than $5 of which was on a Bisphenol A-free HDPE Nalgene bottle.

It’s a sad reflection of how my gear to outdoor opportunities ratio is more skewed towards the former than ever before. I really miss the Oxford Walking Club.

Padraic March 16, 2008 at 7:53 pm

HDPE? Pffffff, steel is real man!

Milan March 16, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Steel? For a water bottle?

Even my carabiners are made of aluminum.

A steel water bottle is the most excessive thing since the Hummer.

tristan March 16, 2008 at 9:56 pm

I would take that line of flight

Milan March 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm

I would take that line of flight

Which mountains would you choose? There are no decent ones on this side of the continent.

R.K. March 17, 2008 at 12:12 pm

You could take up indoor rock climbing. It involves lots of neat gear, and would be a good winter activity.

It’s also great for upper body strength.

Milan March 17, 2008 at 12:18 pm

That’s a great idea.

There is a climbing place right between where I live and where I work.

tris March 17, 2008 at 4:09 pm

There are mountains, just not of the standard we are used to. The appropriate thing to do in the absence of large mountains, I think, are things like the bruce trail, or perhaps something like it closer to ottawa?

Sarah March 17, 2008 at 8:34 pm

Milan, if you find yourself in Vancouver this summer at a time when I am about, I can accompany you climbing / mountaineering / hiking on mountains. I recall our trip to Crown mountain being good fun & there are a plentitude of similar and more challenging trips locally.

Milan March 17, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Sarah,

That sounds excellent, though I think it very unlikely that I will be in Vancouver this summer.

Mark March 18, 2008 at 4:59 pm

I had never heard of Bisphenol A.
I’m never quite sure how I feel about media food scares. Generally when you go and read the literature, they often have dubious support, and yet it’s hard to shake off the niggling doubts. It gets to the point where you’d hardly eat anything.

Milan March 18, 2008 at 5:15 pm

Mark,

I generally share your skepticism and think that people worry more about environmental toxins than the risk justifies. I mostly got the new bottle because I do sometimes drink tea from mine and boiling water very significantly (50x) increases the bisphenol A leaching.

. August 22, 2008 at 10:57 am

Hazard in a bottle

Aug 22nd 2008
From Economist.com
The plastics industry’s Pyrrhic victory

MONEY spoke louder than science in California’s legislature this week, as lawmakers decided between outlawing a chemical used in baby bottles, food containers and household products, and appeasing wealthy donors in the industry.

A bill in the California assembly, which passed the state senate in May, would have banned the use of bisphenol-A (BPA) in products used by children under the age of three. An avalanche of shameless lobbying killed it: the vote was 31 to 27 against, with 22 weaselly abstentions.

The brouhaha over BPA echoes the battle over smoking and cancer a generation ago. Sooner or later, health authorities in most developed countries will heed the scientific evidence and follow Canada’s lead in banning BPA—at least in baby bottles, if not in all household products.