Contemplating netbooks

2008-10-26

in Daily updates, Geek stuff, Internet matters

Having played around a bit with Tristan’s EEE PC, I am considering getting a netbook computer myself. My old iBook is not very portable and, while the big screen and keyboard it offers have advantages, there is considerable appeal in a machine that could be a default content of my backpack.

Do any readers have experience with particular netbooks? I would be looking for something that is tolerable for writing emails and blog posts on, and good for surfing the web. Long battery life would be an advantage, as would an operating system that does the most common tasks well.

I won’t be buying anything for a couple of months, at least, due to a bit of a financial crunch, so machines that look promising and have not yet been released are also worth mentioning.

Anonymous October 27, 2008 at 12:12 am

Do you really need to be online even more often?

kerri October 27, 2008 at 8:13 am

My husband bought a MSI Wind a couple of months ago and loves it. It’s lighter than my MacBook Air, the keyboard isn’t too small for grown up-sized hands, and if I’m not mistaken it’s got the biggest screen of all the netbooks out there right now.

Milan October 27, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Do you really need to be online even more often?

There is definitely something to that. The alternative next gadget in line is a digital SLR. The major reason I have held off from buying one of the Digital Rebels is that I am hoping for a full-frame sensor in an affordable body.

A very small size is the key feature I am looking for: something as big as the 7″ EEE PC but lighter would be ideal.

The thing I most dislike about the EEE PC is how finicky it is about connecting to wireless networks. You need to try the unlocked ones one-by-one and it will often fail to connect to a particular network two or three times before it actually manages to do it.

kerri October 28, 2008 at 9:27 pm

For what it’s worth, the Wind got a good review from Wired:

Milan October 29, 2008 at 12:06 am

I think the Wind is bigger, more powerful, and more expensive than I would want, though I can definitely see how it would be ideal for some people.

Thanks for the link.

Milan October 30, 2008 at 11:59 am

Using an 7″ EEE PC for a couple of days has reminded me about everything that is good about my 14″ iBook. Foremost among those things are Mac OS X and effective wireless connectivity.

. November 2, 2008 at 5:19 pm