Legit Monty Python becoming available online

2008-11-23

in Films and movies, Geek stuff, Internet matters

In another victory for the internet at large, Monty Python has launched a YouTube channel – providing free access to an increasing number of their videos at reasonably high quality.

For the uninitiated, and those seeking to rekindle their appreciation for all things Python – I offer a few viewing suggestions:

They will be using the channel to try and sell DVDs of their films and television episodes, but that seems very fair.

I look forward to when some of my other favourite sketches become available, such as the Cheese Shop sketch, the ROMANES EUNT DOMUS segment from The Life of Brian, the Crunchy Frog sketch, ‘I Wish to Report a Burglary,’ and the ‘I’d Like to Get Married’ sketch.

. November 24, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Pythonline

Find out what the Pythons are up to: latest information on current projects (sometimes right from the Python’s mouth) and events as well as hourly reports on ALL bodily functions(just kidding about THAT..)

Mash It Up with PYTHONIZER3 powered by MashCaster! This amazing tool allows you to create Gilliamesque(or YOUesque) multimedia content and animation and publish it to the web or share it with your friends. Did we mention its FREE?

Interact with other Python fans and share your Pythonic experiences and adventures.

Join the PYTHON Army..Its the world’s most modern army and we don’t use guns. Spread the Pythonic Message and earn MashCASH to get cool Python swag and advance throught the ranks!

Kerrie November 24, 2008 at 3:31 pm

I’m looking forward to their lesser-known sketches, such as:

ALBATROSS! THERE’S AN ALBATROSS ON THE TELLY….MOLLUSKS! YOU KNOW, MOLLUSKS!

and “Oh hello, I’m Mr. Smokestoomuch”
“Better cut down, then?”
“I beg your pardon?”

R.K. November 24, 2008 at 5:36 pm

There is still a lot more illegitimate Monty Python on YouTube than ‘legit’ stuff:
Cheese Shop sketch
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Crunchy Frog sketch
I Wish to Report a Burglary
I want you to marry me!

R.K. November 24, 2008 at 5:40 pm
Milan November 24, 2008 at 7:28 pm

In the introductory video for the official YouTube channel, John Cleese describes how the intent is to make everything available in a sorted, high-quality way. Hopefully, that will come to pass relatively quickly.

The fact that they don’t seem to be working to force the older, illegitimate videos offline suggests that they are willing to tolerate them until they themselves can provide something better – a rather fair position, if sustained.

skylark November 25, 2008 at 8:45 am

Thanks for this Milan. Just watched the Argument sketch… brings back a lot of memories. I had to bookmark this post!

Milan December 5, 2008 at 12:17 pm