Television shows to borrow

2009-01-03

in Films and movies, Ottawa

Buying television programs on DVD or renting them disc-by-disc often costs about the same amount, and the latter leaves you with discs to lend to others. If someone I know in Ottawa wants to borrow one of these, they should let me know:

• Blue Planet
  • House, Season I
  • House, Season II
  • House, Season III
  • Invader Zim, Season I
  • Invader Zim, Season II
  • Planet Earth
  • The Sopranos, Season I
  • The Sopranos, Season II
  • The Wire, Season I

I would be especially keen to make a temporary exchange with someone who has the second season of Rome, or any subsequent season of The Wire or The Sopranos.

Litty January 3, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Don’t you know? TV rots your brains.

Milan January 4, 2009 at 12:07 am

It’s harsh to condemn a whole medium that way.

When they first emerged, a lot of people thought that novels were frivolous or intellectually harmful.

Litty January 4, 2009 at 1:24 am

Happy people spend a lot of time socializing, going to church and reading newspapers — but they don’t spend a lot of time watching television, a new study finds.

Emily January 4, 2009 at 3:14 am

I think commercials and sitcoms are a kind of junk food for your brain, but some television shows are quite good. The Discovery channel, and some of the better HBO shows are pretty hard to beat. Rome and Deadwood are especially great.

Plus, movies can be just as mind-decaying. Watching ‘Legally Blonde’, or ‘Paycheck’ is the brain-nourishing equivalent of sitting down and dedicating yourself to eating a giant sized pack of pork rinds and a salad bowl of jelly-beans.

I dislike television, but TV on DVD is one of America’s finest achievements, goddammit.

AT January 9, 2009 at 8:21 pm

For what it’s worth, I think The Wire is a great achievement, the best show I’ve ever seen.

Milan January 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm

The Wire is quite good, and interesting from a security perspective. The operational security within the Barksdale gang is one of the more interesting elements of the first season.

. January 11, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Operations security
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Operations security (OPSEC) is a process that identifies critical information to determine if friendly actions can be observed by adversary intelligence systems, determines if information obtained by adversaries could be interpreted to be useful to them, and then executes selected measures that eliminate or reduce adversary exploitation of friendly critical information.