Photos of Ontario and Quebec birds

2009-05-23

in Geek stuff, Photography, Science, The outdoors

Here is a list of the birds I have photographed so far as part of my open-ended project. The links go back to the posts in which the photos originally appeared. Eventually, I might sub-divide this list according to type or location.

Presently unidentified birds: none.

Milan May 23, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Animals I saw around Mud Lake today:

• Dogs
  • Ducks
  • Small snapping turtles
  • A giant snapping turtle (maybe three feet long)
  • Canada Geese (and goslings)
  • Seagulls
  • Catfish
  • Cardinals
  • Squirrels (grey and black)
  • A heron
  • Red-winged blackbirds
  • A rabbit
  • A chipmunk
  • Many other birds I could not identify

A few days ago, I saw a porcupine.

. May 24, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Little duckling
May 24th, 2009

. May 26, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Tony Beck Gallery

Birds of Ontario/Quebec – Spring 2008 (36 images)

Tony Beck is a freelance naturalist based in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. His award winning photography appears in many books, websites, magazines & calendars. He teaches Birdwatching and Nature Photography courses both independently and through a variety of institutions. As a Freelance Tour Guide, he leads groups to many exciting destinations, including: All Corners of Canada, Tropical Pacific, American Southwest, and Neotropical America. Customized Tours and Programs available on request.

. May 26, 2009 at 12:40 pm

A BIRDER’S CHECKLIST FOR THE OTTAWA – GATINEAU DISTRICT

Compiled by
The Ottawa Field-Naturalists’ Club Birds Committee

This checklist shows a general seasonal status of birds found within a 50-km (30-mile) radius of the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Ontario.

The three major geographical features of the Ottawa district are the Ottawa River, the Canadian Shield to the north and east and the St. Lawrence Lowlands to the south and west. The Ottawa River is a band of water and Riparian habitat. The Shield consists of rocky, deciduous hills with some areas of Boreal affinity. The Lowlands are an open corn belt, in part on the clay bed of the Champlain Sea, that has wooded areas, urban areas and areas of micro-habitat such as Mer Bleue Bog, Richmond Fen, Larose Forest and the sewage lagoons.

Milan May 26, 2009 at 12:41 pm

A colleague of mine suggests the unknown grey bird may be a Grey Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis).

I am not sure if the black section on top of its head is a crest, or a shadow from the bush, however.

Milan May 30, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Sitting beside Mud Lake about an hour ago, a beaver swam by me, then slipped underwater and vanished.

Milan June 3, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Today, I saw several Turkey Vultures (Cathartes aura) flying outside a tall building in Gatineau.

Photos weren’t possible because of their speed and because I didn’t have gear with me, but I got a pretty good look through binoculars.

R.K. June 23, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Are you still working on this?

Milan June 25, 2009 at 11:33 am

Yes, though I haven’t photographed any birds lately.

Yesterday, I saw a Scarlet Tanager near Lac Brown, in the Gatineau Park.

Milan April 16, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Here’s one I saw in the Humber River. I have no idea of the species.