LC^3T: Thunder Bay

2010-01-09

in Canada, Daily updates, Travel

We are now departing from Thunder Bay – leaving me about 22 hours from Ottawa. While the journey west felt a bit like a measured and disciplined march towards an objective, the ride east has the feeling of a disorderly retreat. That said, I have read and eaten significantly more while heading in this direction.

Ottawa will probably be a shock after Vancouver, but I am looking forward to being able to sleep horizontally and eat something moderately healthy.

Milan January 9, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Sault Ste Marie now.

The smaller towns in northwest Ontario don’t have cell phone coverage.

Alena January 9, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Good job! You are almost there. we have so many good memories of your visit and hope that it was all worth it for you.

Tristan January 9, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Does the bus take the southern highway which curves along the shore of lake superior? That road is very scenic. Although, I suppose, only in the day time. At night is just dangerous.

Milan January 9, 2010 at 11:30 pm

The bus does follow a lakefront, though it was pretty dim already when we started.

I am now in Sudbury, and should soon board my final bus.

Tristan January 10, 2010 at 2:13 am

A former CPR exec seems to think the main rail lines can be electrified for 7.5 billion – three hundred thousand per kilometer. And based on the BCR’s tumbler ridge line (which operated in very cold weather), these costs might not be insane. (details on my bl0g)

7.5 billion sure doesn’t sound like much in the era of bailouts, eh?

Ihor January 10, 2010 at 4:59 am

Congratulations Milan !

You are about to do it again. You’re endurance and moreso
your caring for us all is about to do it again.
Thank you ever so much.