Unusual things to do in New York

2010-07-31

in Geek stuff, Travel

In the near future, I will be spending some time in New York City. I have been there twice before and already seen many of the obvious sites (Times Square, most of the museums, the Staten Island Ferry, Ellis Island, the Empire State Building, etc).

Is there anything less obvious that people would recommend? I would be especially interested in things like excellent and unusual geeky shops and hangouts, good places for photography, and anything random and unexpected.

Gail July 31, 2010 at 8:02 am

Would you like to go sailing in the Manhattan harbor sometime? My daughter & her bf have a 52′ boat docked in Jersey City at Liberty State Park and they go out fairly often. It’s a great way to see the city! Climate warming alarmists and peak oil doomers are always welcome.

Padraic July 31, 2010 at 9:11 am

I would take the subway out to The Rockaways.

Milan July 31, 2010 at 11:19 am

Gail,

Sailing sounds amazing!

I will send you an email when I get to a real computer later today.

Milan July 31, 2010 at 11:25 am

Padraic,

What would you see or do there?

Alison Benjamin July 31, 2010 at 11:48 am

Check out the High Line: http://www.thehighline.org/

alena August 1, 2010 at 3:54 pm

If you have the time and interest, you could go to Harlem, visit Soho, see a play, have a picnic in Central Park, spend some time at the Gugenheim, walk across some bridges, visit Brooklyn , go to the Hamptons where the Great Gatsby is set, and check out some street festivals. Have a wonderful time!

Tristan August 2, 2010 at 7:28 pm
Milan August 5, 2010 at 11:52 am

For those not on Facebook, here are some links to photos I have already put up:

New York I

New York II

The albums include photos from both sailing and The High Line.

Milan August 5, 2010 at 1:10 pm

B&H photography – at 9th Avenue and 34th Street – is quite an amazing place to see. What an array of excellent gear! And excellent prices compared to Canadian shops. i got a 16GB CF card for less than my 8GB CF card cost in Canada, same brand and type.