Robert Van Waarden photography

2010-08-31

in Photography, The environment

A friend of mine recently drew my attention to the climate related photography of Robert Van Waarden. The work is beautiful, and makes illustrates some compelling scientific and political points.

One especially nice post is: Best of 2009 – 20 Images of Climate Change Activism.

The world needs more climate change art.

Tristan August 31, 2010 at 6:49 pm

This is great. I especially like: http://vanwaardenphoto.com/photography-blog/photographs-of-monument-valley-which-is-best

Do you think climate change art is a justifiable reason for extensive travel?

alena August 31, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Those are nice photos; you have some great ones too and you could put together a climate change portfolio. How about visiting the tar sands?

Tristan August 31, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I’d be interested in visiting the tar sands. Some of my travels through BC have been climate change related – such as these forest fire photos taken in the Chilcoten:

Milan September 1, 2010 at 10:28 am

Do you think climate change art is a justifiable reason for extensive travel?

I guess it comes down to the effectiveness of the art, when it comes to motivating people in general to take action on climate change. Another Earthrise is worth a few flights – or even the combined emissions from 5 Rocketdyne F-1 engines with 34,020,000 Newtons of thrust.

alena September 1, 2010 at 11:30 am

Tristan,
those are great photos; beautiful in their own way. I remember when we went to Yellowstone and saw the trees that had turned to cement-like pillars after the huge fire. I also remember the consequences of the Mt. St. Helen’s eruption when I went there with the boys. Oleh and I saw a powerful film about the Tar sands put together by a group of native people and it was quite frightening.

R.K. September 1, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Have any really iconic climate-related photos already been taken?