More security, less freedom

2006-08-10

in Bombs and rockets, Daily updates, Politics, Security, Travel

While we can all be very glad this alleged plot was foiled, the new rules on carry-on baggage are going to make travelling long distances by plane truly hellish. Without more information, it is impossible to evaluate how justified they are, but they certainly appear to be quite onerous. No water; no books, magazines, or newspapers; no portable electronics of any kind. Of course, either the restrictions or all duty-free shopping will eventually have to go.

It also seems that all EasyJet flights out of all London airports are cancelled. With my EasyJet flight to Dublin in six days, I wonder what is going to happen. They seem to be offering refunds on tickets. Maybe I should take it, then pay the cancellation fee from the hostel.

Such is the power of terrorism: even when we win, we lose.

[Update: 6:52pm] Both of my current roommates have had to re-schedule flights over this: one to Austria and one to Barcelona. It seems likely that another friend’s trip to Madrid will not be happening, and that yet another friend’s flight to Canada tomorrow will be boring and uncomfortable.

[Update: 11 August] Flights from London to Dublin are back on schedule, according to EasyJet. My friend also made it to Madrid today, after all.

Nora August 10, 2006 at 5:46 pm

This article on BBC News seems to suggest that these carry-on restrictions are not permanent. I think, given your intended destinations, that you have little to be worried about.

Milan August 10, 2006 at 5:51 pm

Nora,

I certainly expect that you are right for my Zoom Airlines flight to Vancouver on September 6th (though I have serious doubts about whether the carry-on restrictions will have been lifted by then). I am less sure if things will be sorted out before my EasyJet flight to Dublin next Wednesday.

Anonymous August 10, 2006 at 7:50 pm

On a totally different note – when you do go to Vancouver, make sure to see your dentist. No need to bother with the NHS.

Milan August 10, 2006 at 8:01 pm

Brilliant! Single most useful comment ever.

I just booked an appointment. No mucking about with the British Dental Association, after all!

R.K. August 10, 2006 at 5:44 pm

“Maybe I should take it, then pay the cancellation fee from the hostel.”

Could you transfer it to a later week, giving things a bit more time to cool down and return to normal?

LinkChecker August 12, 2006 at 1:47 pm

This post has been referenced here and here.

R.K. August 14, 2006 at 8:02 pm

I came up with quite the mad terrorist plot: have a look.

Milan August 15, 2006 at 10:23 am

It is also worth giving a thought at the effect of the new restrictions on flight attendants.