I love Vancouver

7. Naan vegetarian poutine, with miso gravy
  8. Delicious veggie curry, as made by my mother
  9. Cheap Bic four-colour pens, to bolster my supply
  10. Delicious peanut-sauce-saturated food from Tropika
  11. Chilled sake at Hapa Izakaya
  12. Tasty soup at Kintaro
  13. Mountains to the north!
  14. Additional sushi at Honjin
  15. Photographic banter at Lens and Shutter
  16. At least one dose of Curry Point curry. I still have my frequent customer card (half full).
  17. Food, wine, and conversation generously granted to myself from the benevolent Ellan family
  18. The view from the Lions Gate Bridge
  19. The view from the northern end of Canada Place, at night
  20. The view from atop Crown Mountain
  21. 99 cent pizza, downtown
  22. Welts in my head from low-ceilinged Kitsilano basement suits
  23. Episodes of 24 watched on Jonathan’s basement couch
  24. Pure liquid funkiness: Commercial Drive
  25. Granville Island Winter Ale
  26. Thesis related books at Canadian prices
  27. Proper, West Coast rain
  28. A copy of The Georgia Strait to read on the bus
  29. Competant barristas at Starbucks
  30. More clothing and gear from Mountain Equipment Co-op

That is more or less the lot. Or did I forget something?

B August 14, 2006 at 9:18 pm

Funny how worldwide ambition and provincial tastes combine.

mek August 14, 2006 at 9:24 pm

A real poutine from Fritz would wash down that fake one rather nicely.

Milan August 14, 2006 at 9:25 pm

Fritz European Fry House? Near Vancouver’s tallest tower?

I remember going there with Sarah Pemberton very late in some far distant night.

It definitely makes the list.

mek August 14, 2006 at 9:26 pm

Oh, and Body Worlds 3.

Milan August 14, 2006 at 9:49 pm

Mekrith,

I am on board for Body Worlds 3. Morbid, but interesting.

Jessica August 15, 2006 at 4:34 am

That’s a lot of dining out in 18 days.

Sean August 15, 2006 at 6:57 am

I am guessing that you like curry? :)

I agree on Starbucks, at least from a south of the border perspective. If they took as long as the ones in the Starbucks on Cornmarket Street, there would be a riot.

Milan August 15, 2006 at 8:59 am

Jessica,

I have dined out fewer than five times this year: in Oxford, at least. There was my birthday, the time I took Louise out before she left, and a couple of times with my mother. Mostly, this will just be catching up.

Sean,

The bigger problem is that the Starbucks people here seem to have a faltering understanding of their own products. Try ordering a ‘venti dark roast’ and watching incomprehension spread across the face of the person behind the counter, until you point at the right cup and the right spout of coffee.

[Update: 15 August 2006] Some more items came to mind:

1. Tim Horton’s Iced Cappuccino with Fernando at 2:00am
  2. Riding the Seabus and Skytrain
  3. Riding my mountain bike, in the woods
  4. Seeing millions of conifers
  5. Talking with a few ex-profs at UBC about my thesis project
Anonymous August 15, 2006 at 10:45 am

Planning to pull a shift or two at Staples, for old times sake? LOL

Milan August 15, 2006 at 7:25 pm

According to Susie Thiessen of the Granville Island Brewery, the Winter Ale will not be released until October 15.

Squirrel August 16, 2006 at 4:32 am

The Twisted Delight is fabulous. I also enjoy the scones from Cobbs too. And 24. You have excellent taste!

Hilary August 16, 2006 at 11:15 pm

Delicious vegetarian chinese food (or thai, or veitnamese….)
Drew’s birthday/4 year anniversary party
my birthday party
a last minute party at nick or emerson’s where you have 1-2 hours notice but somehow it still ends up being a multicourse gourmet affair?

Milan August 17, 2006 at 10:28 am

Hilary,

Good suggestions, all. See you in a few weeks.

Milan September 2, 2006 at 4:57 pm

Other items:

*walking to Edgemont Village with one of my brothers
*hiking up Capilano Canyon, across the Pipeline Bridge and up to Cleveland Dam
*walking along the beach at English Bay on a warm evening, following gelato
*going to Anatoli Souvlaki or Nando’s chicken with my family

Milan September 2, 2006 at 4:58 pm

Unfortunately, even with the discount from the UBC bookstore, it seems like it will be about $200 for a 1GB stick of RAM for the iBook, and it would be another $100 to upgrade my OS to Tiger.

While $300 isn’t so bad for a significant upgrade. I can’t help but feel the money would be better directed to other projects. I can put up with iPhoto grinding and whirring, and the fact that more and more clever new programs cannot be run on my system…

Milan September 7, 2006 at 1:48 am

Cobb’s bakery Twisted Delight
Coffee made with Vancouver water (lots)
Delicious veggie curry, as made by my mother
Mountains to the north!
The view from the Lions Gate Bridge
Competant barristas at Starbucks
Seeing millions of conifers

Done, within nine hours of arriving in Vancouver.

Mica September 7, 2006 at 8:03 am

How about Giving Mica the ol’ claw…..

Welcome home Milan. Let’s go for a pint.

Milan September 7, 2006 at 7:49 pm

Mica,

A pint sounds great. It seems we are planning to go to Anatoli tonight. Are you coming?

Milan September 8, 2006 at 5:42 pm

Photographic banter at Lens and Shutter
99 cent pizza, downtown
Pure liquid funkiness: Commercial Drive
Granville Island Winter Ale (Nope, but all four of their current seasonal beers
A copy of The Georgia Strait to read on the bus
More clothing and gear from Mountain Equipment Co-op
walking to Edgemont Village with one of my brothers

Done within the first full day of being in Vancouver

Milan September 14, 2006 at 6:50 am

I got my rain. I got my RAM.

Good times.

Milan September 18, 2006 at 8:22 pm

Items still outstanding from this list:

All you can eat sushi
Dental care from someone I trust (scheduled for Wednesday)
Galleria sandwich (they are on vacation)
Naan vegetarian poutine, with miso gravy
Delicious peanut-sauce-saturated food from Tropika (going with Jenn tonight)
Chilled sake at Hapa Izakaya
Tasty soup at Kintaro
Food, wine, and conversation generously granted to myself from the benevolent Ellan family (no proper, sit-down dinner so far)
The view from atop Crown Mountain
Welts in my head from low-ceilinged Kitsilano basement suits
Episodes of 24 watched on Jonathan’s basement couch
Thesis related books at Canadian prices
Tim Horton’s Iced Cappuccino with Fernando at 2:00am
Riding my mountain bike, in the woods

I have one week left!

Milan September 20, 2006 at 1:41 am

My father and I went up Dam Mountain today, which is going to have to stand in for Crown.

Milan September 20, 2006 at 8:08 pm

I am in the midst of my dental appointment now, between the cleaning and being examined by the dentist himself.

Why do teeth require so much more active maintenance than other bodily systems? Even if you are healthy, they require determined cleaning several times a day and professional work every few months.

Milan September 20, 2006 at 8:10 pm

Also, the poutine with extra war dipping sauce from Fritz European fry house last night was excellent.

Milan September 21, 2006 at 8:47 am

Dental care from someone I trust
Naan vegetarian poutine, with miso gravy

Both done today. Diminishing returns, in terms of the rate of task completion.

Milan April 23, 2009 at 1:20 pm