Thirty days in

2007-08-12

in Daily updates, Ottawa

Parliament of Canada

One month has passed since I arrived in Ottawa. Since then, I have found somewhere to live, furnished it, learned the basic layout of the city, and become settled in my job. The most notable thing I have not done is make any friends. I know people at work and there are people who I knew before who I now hang out with here, but there is nobody of my age outside work who I have met here and now interact with socially. That is a big change from Oxford, where you are immediately immersed in a collection of social circles: college, program, department, clubs, etc.

The process of acclimatization must continue, in areas that are as important but not as urgent as finding somewhere to live. With at least eleven months left here, it is a wise area in which to invest.

Kristen Read August 12, 2007 at 10:21 pm

Milan,
I too have experienced the “Ottawa sucks with no friends” after the Liberals lost the election and everyone went back to BC. I am in Kingston now and perhaps I can show you around the next time I’m in town. Meet you on MSN. Hang in there buddy!
Kristen

Ben August 13, 2007 at 4:04 am

That’s one thing that almost scares me about leaving Oxford – the need to make a new group of friends, without the obvious advantages of a department and college through which to do so.

Ashley August 13, 2007 at 1:13 pm

It’s August. Ottawa will be a very different place soon.

OttawaInfo August 13, 2007 at 2:20 pm

have you already discovered these veggie buffets?

The Green Door (Main street)

The Table (Holland and Wellington, a bit closer to you, but I like the green door better)

OttawaInfo August 13, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Also, have a look at Cheap Eats Ottawa.

Milan July 29, 2010 at 11:06 am

I still don’t have many friends in Ottawa. Socially, it is much more inaccessible than university was.